HS142 rev limited ignition identification

GoldenMotor.com

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Does anyone know if on the HS142 engines there's a visual way to identify the rev limited ignitions from those that aren't limited? I haven't added a tach to my bike yet, and I'm trying to figure out if the ignition I replaced on my bike is limiting me out at 6800 like some do. Thanks!

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
OK, so my tach came in, and once I figured out I had to set the timing on it to 0.5 for 4 stroke, I'm only getting up to 6400rpm. Sooo, I'm thinking that is a good indication I've got a rev limited CDI installed, yes? Can anyone point me at a vendor selling non-rev limited CDIs? The one I bought was via ebay and it indicated that it was an ignition for Honda GXH water pumps. None of the listings I've seen from anyone seem to indicate rev limited vs, not. I'd like to get those last 1000 rpms sometimes.

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Well, I confirmed via Honda part numbers that I ordered a rev limited ignition, d'oh! That's $20 that'll be sitting in a box, at least I'll have a known good backup. That was 6400rpm riding, but that includes riding down hill where I'm coasting up to 40mph, so there's essentially no load on the drivetrain. I've heard back from Spooky Tooth and Bicycleengines.com that neither are aware of any rev limit on the units they offer.

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
To finish this one out, I swapped out the Honda CDI for a replacement stock Huasheng one from SpookyTooth. Night and day difference. Not only does it rev all the way, but it's actually much stronger through all revs. I don't have to pedal up hills and the acceleration is noticeably improved. Throttle response is seat of the pants noticeable.

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
If your still around...ive got a hs142 and just lost spark...no loose or broken wires...have you any ideas? Thx

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Did you check that there's no short on your kill switch? That will kill your spark too. Try the plug too. New plug is cheaper than a new cdi. Make sure the spacing on the cdi unit is mounted properly with a good small gap between the magnet on the flywheel and a firm ground when mounted. There's nothing really serviceable in the cdi, so if all the mounting is good, plug and wire are good, then you could just have a bad unit.

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Hey.. Just got done with checking what you suggested..even unscrewing the plug wire and twist turning it back in..its dead:( After 700 miles of problem free riding. So spookytooth here I come.thx