Show us your "Fred Head"

GoldenMotor.com

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
What are the advantages of two spark plugs?
Honestly I don't know. Some say that if one plug fowls you have another ready to go. Seems to me that if one plug fowls the other is fowled too. Dual plug heads have been around for a long time and have never caught on. I figure there is a reason they are not popular...

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Two plugs = two sparks and better combustion supposedly. I doubt you can tell a difference on a chinagirl since it is in such a mild state of tune. The hotter spark from the better coil and cdi setup is what makes it better, more so than the twin plugs. In a high end race motor, two plugs can improve power slightly, but I don't believe it would make the slightest difference on a chinagirl.
It sure looks cool though!

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
5.3 Fred Head going on a Gen 5 Pk80. Not sure what cylinder is going on, possibly a home ported cylinder, Arrow big block or stage 2 Fred cylinder.

Dan.

rock out

Jul 5, 2013
canada
Those are some great model shots. Are you a professional photographer :p I just got my elbow and ditch tattooed so I won't be doing anything on my bike for awhile seeing as I can't bend my arm

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Those are some great model shots. Are you a professional photographer :p I just got my elbow and ditch tattooed so I won't be doing anything on my bike for awhile seeing as I can't bend my arm
Actually my camera has two shutter buttons. One is for standard photography, manual mode etc and the other is photographer mode. If you hit that button it takes artistic style pics randomly.

My tattoo artist keeps flying off to Europe for tattoo conventions but she should be staying put for awhile, I can feel the need for another tattoo coming on lol.

Dan.

Geezer

May 2, 2011
Illinois
took these pics on a ride last saturday... wasn't too cold (45F) if dressed right, felt good to get out for a ride
as i havent been for at least a month and a half ... i ever mention "i hate winter"

mines the first gen. i'm very happy with it
job well done Fred

Attachments

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Unless you're running two coils......and even then, what's the point?

I had a 1971 CZ 250cc that had two plugs and two coils.....and even with the Mikuni carb conversion it was one of the hardest 2-strokes to start and there is no advantage too running 2 sparkplugs, with or without 2 coils......really, there's not!

Running two plugs with one hooked up to a coil, the one plug fouls, so does the other one......moot point.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
While I agree in principle with scotto about both plug seeing the same conditions, I have owned several dirtbikes over the years with two plug heads and I have found myself thankful for the spare plug more times than I can remember.
While I still think it's a waste of money to make parts this nice for a chinagirl, the two plug setup could at least save you a pedal home due to a fouled plug.
This level of craftsmanship and quality on a china motor is like chrome plating a turd in my opinion. When you're done spending, it's still just a shiny turd.
But to each his or her own. I'll use the extra cash to build many, many china girls, some use it to build one really shiny chinagirl.
But in the end, it's all about what kind of turd YOU want.

Last edited:

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
Unless you're running two coils......and even then, what's the point?

I had a 1971 CZ 250cc that had two plugs and two coils.....and even with the Mikuni carb conversion it was one of the hardest 2-strokes to start and there is no advantage too running 2 sparkplugs, with or without 2 coils......really, there's not!

Running two plugs with one hooked up to a coil, the one plug fouls, so does the other one......moot point.
Scotto #1 you are wrong the Fred's Twin plug Head only uses 1 coil with the lighting CDI made for twin plug. it is a Coil off of a banshee.

now a 2nd point and I have to go to my roots the 4 stroke world for this. I once built 2 ford 2.3 turbos for a dude to test in 2 mustangs he had the only difference in these 2 motors was one had 8 plugs the other had 4 plugs. This project was done by myself and 2 other guys one a engine machinist the other a port and polish expert. it was done because the owner of the 2 cars wanted to see if there was any advantage to the 2 plugs per cylinder. long story shout when the 2 cars were done. the twin plug head car was .2 tents faster in the 1/8 mi and got 7 mpg better then the one with a single plug did.

not much at all but if I have the money Ill take any advantage I can.

Im looking forward to getting my twin plug head here in about 1 month or less.

Last edited: