Excelsior V Twin build

GoldenMotor.com

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi .. Have started this seperate thread so I dont have two builds going on in one thead....To get up to speed for the build ..the aim is the build a 1919 Excelsior board track racer with some motor cycle parts and fabricate anything that is need to keep it in the 1900's look.....I am using a Yamaha XV250 V twin motor...21" honda Xl rims and hubs...with road tires they are 28" in diameter...everything else I will make.....

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi .. stocksucks.....The V twin I have has 5 speed gearbox...pretty much run a direct drive to the rear wheel...16 tooth output and 47 tooth rear hub....28" O/D wheel = over 100 mph.....have to work out the pedal shaft with a chainwheel and see if there will be enough room for a freewheel sprocket next to the main hub sprocket..so I can pedal start...the motor also has an electric start if I wanted to connect it...depends what I can hide inside one of the fuel tanks as it has a seperate tank on each side of the bike.....other wise it will just be pedal cranks with a chain wheel on the left side of the bike...

Attachments

tigmaster

Jul 17, 2011
ann arbor
Great vision DD,I must say You have a very good start on this beast!...How are the laws about home assembled motorcycles there?...The States are all over in regs,from state to state its crazy!....Please post often,with as many pics as possible on Your build....Tigmaster....

stocksucks

May 23, 2012
Portugal
Hi .. stocksucks.....The V twin I have has 5 speed gearbox...pretty much run a direct drive to the rear wheel...16 tooth output and 47 tooth rear hub....28" O/D wheel = over 100 mph.....have to work out the pedal shaft with a chainwheel and see if there will be enough room for a freewheel sprocket next to the main hub sprocket..so I can pedal start...the motor also has an electric start if I wanted to connect it...depends what I can hide inside one of the fuel tanks as it has a seperate tank on each side of the bike.....other wise it will just be pedal cranks with a chain wheel on the left side of the bike...
That's just great! Boy I wish I had one of those engines..
With that kind of torque and speed you gotta watch out for everything else... tires, rims, brakes. GRRRR!... you're makin my HogBoys BTR look like a pidgeon aside a Xmas turkey!
Post often, will ya?
And also shoot some videos when you get the engine ready to run.
Congratulations and keep it up!

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi Curt...I have built a jig mainly as I'm going to braze weld all the tubes into pipe sleeves when assembling..its would be hard to keep every thing in aligment when brazing joints....bicycle builders would have a jig to setup and drill holes in all the sleeve points and drive pins into them to hold it all in place and then braze.......be different if I was to mig it all....just a few tacks to hold things in place...still the jig will make sure everything stays inaligment......

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi.. robbomberbomyea...Theres no way of getting this bike a title here in Australia..it would have to meet the Australian Design Rules..and have a full engineers certificate.. the whole concept of the bike would be lost....We have a recreation limited reg in our state but still have to have full lighting and mudguards and can only be used in special places.....better just take it out to remote places and have a bit of fun....would fit in with bike shows.....

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi Tigmaster....Laws are as I have already explained..this is a fun project and will probally get to ride it out of town...Have be planing it for a while...things change as I'm procceding along ..but thats to be expected when doing some thing like this...

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi.. stocksucks...I'm not using any bicycle parts in this build...it is a light weight motor cycle and should be constructed that way for saftey...wheels and hubs,brakes are from a Honda XL100...the Yamaha V250cc puts out about 25 hp.. The rest will be hand fabricated........ Your HogBoys BTR looks fantastic..

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Hi Curt...I have built a jig mainly as I'm going to braze weld all the tubes into pipe sleeves when assembling..its would be hard to keep every thing in aligment when brazing joints....bicycle builders would have a jig to setup and drill holes in all the sleeve points and drive pins into them to hold it all in place and then braze.......be different if I was to mig it all....just a few tacks to hold things in place...still the jig will make sure everything stays inaligment......
Sort of why I am eyeballing your jig Ilove brazing and will need a jig also,even for tig or mig as you say sure helps hold things.........Curt

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi Curt....When I start to build the forks I will have to make a separate jig for them theres going to be a lot of heat concentrated in a small area around the fork head....

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi .... This is a part of the jig set up for the rear...still have to make some brackets for the seat stem tube to hold it in place ..I'm not making special clamps.... I will use G clamps and clamp pliers and U bolts......

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Hi .... This is a part of the jig set up for the rear...still have to make some brackets for the seat stem tube to hold it in place ..I'm not making special clamps.... I will use G clamps and clamp pliers and U bolts......
AWESOME simple and efective..........Curt