spark plug and boot question

GoldenMotor.com

520titan

Mar 30, 2012
tucson
my spark plug boot fell apart on me, the inners came out on the plug and now its not creating a spark to get going. i ordered the new cdi and itll arrive monday but i meeda get to work! is there a way i can rig it up to work, i think i read about someone who connnected the wire straight to the spark plug..is that bad to do? sorry if this is the wrong spot for this im new here:-||

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Did you by chance NOT remove the cap on the end of the spark plug and try to force the cable end on to the plug?

Don't fret over it, the spark plugs universal end cap screws right off, as does the kits plastic connector to the plug.

If you have a Syhawk kit it should even have a replacement to screw back on to the cable, just make sure to use some pliers and take the top cap off the plug so it's just bare threads you connect it to ;-"

If not, well, any auto parts store should have a spare spark plug cable they might just give you, just pay attention to how it connects as car wires use that spark plug top cap to connect to.

Directly wiring the CDI out to the plug top, heck ya it will work, a big fat piece of copper wire will put every milliamp of CDI power to the plug, you just don't want to be around it if you have a pacemaker or any audio electrical device.

Without some shielding these little motor Dyno's and CDI put out one **** of an EMF pulse on every stroke, hence why most every spark plug powered motor on earth uses a shielded non-copper plug wire.

I do highly recommend an upgrade to a better wire and Iridium plug, About $25 for both but you don't have to take the end cap off the plug, it the upgraded wire fits it, and that simple upgrade, from my experience, is a noticeable performance upgrade.
Granted, a slight performance gain, but a gain you fell none the less ;-}

Last edited:

520titan

Mar 30, 2012
tucson
i bought this already made so i dont have a kit and it looks like theres no cap on the plug its just the threaded part, so i can directly connect the copper wires from the cable to the threads on the spark plug? i took the boot off already since it is garbage. is there anything i need to use to wrap around the wires/plug

T-lo

Feb 8, 2012
Orange Park
yes! ok. everytime when i get a kit it comes with 2 of these black plastic boots. i break them both within' 2 or 3 minutes. then i go to AutoZone and buy a single, short spark plug wire. This is the only place i know of to get just one wire. I start the opperation by cutting the black wire from the cdi as close to the old boot as possible. i take the old one and through it away and try to forget they sent it to me in the first place. strip about 1/2 inch of wire out and prepair the new spark plug boot. the new wire will look pretty solid, but, with a little force you can pull the insides out of the rubber boot without damaging anything. i attach remove the metal connector from the new wire and install it to the old cdi wire and crimp it down. Push it back into the rubber boot from the new wire and keep the other side of it for next time. This will still work if you get a spark plug wire without Wire inside. the one i'm using now had some white plastic thread inside instead of wire.

520titan

Mar 30, 2012
tucson
ok so heres what i just tried...i stripped about a inch off the cdi wire so i had a inch of the copper wire, wrapped that around the threaded part of the plug, then wrapped a good amount of copper wire around that. still just getting the initial kick but it wont rev up and dies after 3 seconds. this is pretty much the material i have to work with. anything im doing wrong? sorry im a newb when it comes to this kind of stuff. thats why i bought one premade and didnt build my own haha. i have about a hour and a lhalf before work so thats plenty of time to try a few tihngs

T-lo

Feb 8, 2012
Orange Park
it's the top of the plug that needs the connection. not the threaded part. how did you get the plug screwed in with the wire around... nevermind. you really should try my instructions. i've had really good luck with doing this and you get a much better connection than the original. also the soft rubber boot covers most of the plug and forms a tight fit that won't shake off or allow water to get in.
What else have to done? try anything new?

520titan

Mar 30, 2012
tucson
hey t-lo..i tried to do as you instructed..still didnt work..looks likke that wasnt the bif=g problem anyways..or i just couldnt do what you said right haha im not the greatest with wires or connections or anything mechanical..but im learning little by little...my bikes up and runnin now...i dont even wanna say what the problem was dance1

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Just don't touch 'em when the engine is running. :)

Tom
Spoil sport!! If he does, I'd guarantee it, not for long... like microseconds. Tom, I'd bet that you have checked for fire through a wire by touching it while turning the engine over slowly....??

Last edited:

T-lo

Feb 8, 2012
Orange Park
glad you got it running man. i'm still having a hard time with this carb. i don't work on it everyday 'till 11pm - anymore.

i tried to check spark by taking out the plug attached to the boot and turning the mag with a wrench and i didn't see nothing. i know i have spark because it's running, but i didn't see one.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
glad you got it running man. i'm still having a hard time with this carb. i don't work on it everyday 'till 11pm - anymore.

i tried to check spark by taking out the plug attached to the boot and turning the mag with a wrench and i didn't see nothing. i know i have spark because it's running, but i didn't see one.
To get a spark you need to spin the magnet a whole lot faster than that.
Try at least 200 RPM.

AlzaReborn

Oct 30, 2015
Sheridan, Wyoming
oks...so i did everything i thought i needed to do....i get a problem with spark plug...when i place it in and hook everything up...the magneto doesnt want to start over..or crank at all...when i took the spark plug out it tries to start up....Can anyone give me an Idea of what might be wrong???:-||:-||:-||

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
you may want to start a newer thread for this in 'troubleshooting', but it sounds like your clutch is slipping so that motor will not turn when plug is in