List of motorized bicycle gearboxes

GoldenMotor.com

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I took the carb off and had a look at the fuel holes in the side and they are there, but I suspect they are too small, it would be hard to increase the size. They are drilled out under a welch plug. I drilled out the main jet and it is still too small, I have to leave the choke on to make it run WOT. Have fun, Dave

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
I took the carb off and had a look at the fuel holes in the side and they are there, but I suspect they are too small, it would be hard to increase the size. They are drilled out under a welch plug. I drilled out the main jet and it is still too small, I have to leave the choke on to make it run WOT. Have fun, Dave
yep! same here, need to have half choke to run it, but i dont mind, it still goes good

karma1968

Oct 6, 2009
hamilton
heh i must be one of the lucky ones. my carb works great even in this cold weather.
left it out side all day to see how it starts when cold. flip the choke on 2 pulls later it starts. turn the choke off and its ready to go. but if anyone can find a good carb to replace this one im all for it.

has anyone opened the crankcase? i really would like to get a look at the parts used. piston etc.

Last edited:

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Thanks Max!

Just wanted to add the limited edition WhisperDrive to the list. Cake to install and icing to operate, this 1 speed automatic is brimming w/ style and sophistication; A window into the works lets onlookers gaze w/ wonder! The WhirlyGazer Technology also helps you, the rider, check o/a condition at a glance. 3 HD High Speed Sealed Bearings on the Primary Shaft Inspire Total Confidence. The throaty 4 stroke sound through the FBC signature SS pipe is nothing less than assertive. Be the 1st on your block to Command Respect!

Currently in Production the "WD" is a simple and economical 4 stroke kit made (not sourced) almost entirely StateSide. All componants are made right here in the USA except as listed here: the bearings and final drive chain are made in Japan and the sprocket, throttle and grips are made in China. Depending on the motor you use it is likely made in China.

The "WD" comes w/ Drive System, Engine Mount, Wide Cranks, FBC SS Exhaust, Chain and Rear Sprocket.

$440

W/ HD Rear Axle Grubee MB Wheel (W/ FreeWheeling Rear Sprocket)

$540

FBC AirFilter and Chain Tensioner available at $20 each w/ order of "Base Kit"

You Buy Only What You Need!

Will work w/ many engines including Lifan, B&S, Honda GX100 and most notably the Harbor Freight 2.5 HP ($109.99 but often on sale for $89.99).

Cheers, Evan

Pls follow these links to see what I'm talking about!

http://motorbicycling.com/f37/new-frame-4-stroke-kit-development-13442.html

YouTube - ShellyBelly WhisperDrive

YouTube - An evening in front of the FireBelly!

YouTube - FireBelly WhisperDrive in true technicolor extra reality TV

Thanks Again!

Attachments

Last edited:

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Dig it! Looks like you've adapted some sort of right angle reduction box. Looks tough! Whered you find one w/ the reduction and rpm range! Or did you really make the whole thing?

Cool!

gareth5000

Aug 17, 2010
Warburton Oz
Yeah, I adapted a reduction box I found. It has worked out well.
It freewheels and rides like normal pushbike. The motor is powering the front sprocket so there is only one heavy duty chain running to the 7 speed Shimano. It can climb anything in first gear and cruises at 35-40 kph in seventh, more if you pedal.
I've had a few brainwaves since I built this, I'm looking forward to building mark3.

Attachments

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Anybody has shift kit from Scooter Guy?
I do.

My 5hp+ GP460 high-rpm engine is connected to the 5:1 pocketbike $25 gearbox that no one here mentioned. The box then bolts onto the Scooterguy frame-mounted engine plate.

JMO, this 5:1 is the most versatile, compact tranny available. Linked to the Scooterguy frame-mount, any engine with a 76mm clutch will bolt on. There are quite a few engine sprockets that are available. You can use SBP or pocketbike chainrings and freewheel mechanisms, which then transmit power back to the rear derailleur.

This is the cheapest gearbox available. Combined with a NuVinci hub or multi-speed cassette, there is no other combination that will better maximize any engine's performance.

Last edited:

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
It will work with the 4G for the Honda but not the Huasheng. But let me try and be clear there are two versions of the Huasheng. One has a crank shaft that extends beyond the case and the other has a small tapered shaft that the clutch assembly bolts directly to. The ones with the output shaft is like the Honda is the correct one as the 4G for this engine type is narrow enough to work with our kit. The 4G made for the Huasheng with the tapered shaft is too wide to work with our kit.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Yup, the "5/8 shaft" Huasheng (HS 142F) takes the "Honda 4G" and does work fine on the SBP shift kit. You may have to modify the 4G cover for the pedals to clear it.

I just passed the 1300 mile mark on my setup, here's an older pic:

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Tank is from Coyote-Gear Wholesale Aluminum Tanks

Mine is a 6" x 12" endfiller. They are expensive and the cap that comes with it is not very good, IMHO. The original cap lasted a month before it broke. Rather than replace it with the same one, I bought one from Autozone. I also had to design and laser-cut a plate that would secure the tank to the frame.

Thanks for the help. Where did'ya get your tank?

A.N.T.

Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE
Tank is from Coyote-Gear Wholesale Aluminum Tanks

Mine is a 6" x 12" endfiller. They are expensive and the cap that comes with it is not very good, IMHO. The original cap lasted a month before it broke. Rather than replace it with the same one, I bought one from Autozone. I also had to design and laser-cut a plate that would secure the tank to the frame.
Actually $99 for this style tank is not bad at all, pirate cycles has a similar tank they want over $150 for. its brass or copper though and i dont know if it comes with mounting hardware.