help with a huffy cranbrook build

GoldenMotor.com

Nevada

Nov 29, 2013
Reno, Nevada
You're gonna get a bunch of way more knowledgeable folks than me that chime in on this. But the first thing I'd look at would be the cable adjustment for the clutch lever. Mostly the lower adjustment. It is pulling the clutch arm enough to disengage the clutch? With help from a friend holding the rear wheel up you could move the clutch arm by hand and see where it needs to get to disengage the clutch. If the cable doesn't move it enough, adjust the cable. If the cable adjustment doesn't get it where it needs to be, take off the clutch cover and tighten the flower nut enough where it puts the throw of the clutch lever tight enough that the hand lever can achieve the throw or amount of movement needed to disengage the clutch.

Last edited:

missle3944

Feb 28, 2012
California
Are you positive you are pressing all the way back on the clutch arm? it should be at around a 30 deg angle

Also,

make sure the chain isn't bunched up in the chain drive

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Clutch cable too loose. I'd almost guarantee it. Most first time builders underestimate how much force and travel it takes to disengage the clutch. The cable must be tight in the engaged position. Anything over about 1/8" of slack is too much.

Tighten the cable and let us know what happens. And please, don't start messing with the flower nut until you've made sure the cable is tight and have a full understanding of what you're doing.

Another issue is stuck clutch pads. Very common. Engines assembled in China and then stored for months before sale can have clutch friction pads stuck. Usually all it takes is a full deflection of the clutch actuator arm (the one on the engine) to free them. Sometimes a sharp 'whack' with a soft headed hammer on the bucking bar will do it. Worst case you'll have to loosen the flower nut and disassemble the clutch to get the pads to break loose.
My bet is the cable is loose. Let us know.

Tom