The "Evil Onyx" part deux

GoldenMotor.com

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
What's up!

This is The shake here and I'm back on another Onyx build. This time I'm going to do a couple of things differently because after my last Onyx (technically it's named 'onex') build I found that my bike already looked used before I even got it running right.

The first thing I'm going to change in this build is that I'm not even going to go through the trouble of buying two bikes. I still have that "two-nine" frame and I don't even know what to do with it. Secondly, masking tape. I want this build to look like it belongs in a bike shop somewhere so I can't scratch it at all, thus I'm going to mask the heck out of anything that will be on the final bike.

Below is a link to my 2012 grubee skyhawk unboxing, so you can know exactly what I'm starting with and after the link is a picture of how the bike sits right this second. I'll be back with the step by step, so if your wanting to build this bike subscribe and post, I look forward to hearing your comments. One more thing, I'm going on a joint venture this time meaning that I'm going to build another bike at the same time, so post on my huffy build when it finally pops up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-CFw7aKAhs&feature=youtu.be

Now that's a lot of masking tape! I am using the new 3M stuff that comes off with no mess.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I like to keep my bikes looking new too. Even my 1988 Sportster still looks pretty good, although as years go by you can't help that some ageing takes place. I know about every scratch on my bikes, and each one has a story. Eventually even the scratches become part of the bikes personally.

This is my oldest motor bicycle, and it looks better than new, after almost 3 years and 2000 miles

Last edited:

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
What's up guys, back with another update. haven't got a whole lot done because of Kent international. I called them up some time ago to place an order for the entire front end of a "Two-nine" bike because I figured it would save some money, but all it has done has created a lot of headache. For starters they sent me two entirely different shifters. I don't know how anyone could be that stupid but they managed to do it, furthermore they forgot to send me a headset what the sent me instead was a rear rim. I don't need no stinkin rear rim, and I have no idea how they got "rear rim" out of "head set" because they obviously spoke good english. So I spent the better part of today looking around for a headset. I finally pulled one off a bike I have sitting outside. I had to refurbish a stem and all its bolts to brand new. I am now waiting on paint for that part.

Anyway, I got the front suspension installed and I fine tuned the brakes so they don't bend the disc, surprisingly they come so out of whack if you put em on, you'll have squeelin brakes in no time. anyways here's the pics.

Last edited:

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
What's up people? I'm back with another update. Today I did paint on the engine. I went with VHT engine enamel. Seems like vht should stand for very high temperature, maybe it does I don't know. It says its rated for 550 degree which is always good. Anyway I used blue sticky loc-tite epoxy to place over the bolts and stud so I didn't have to take everything apart. on the really long bolts i just use some masking tape folded in on itself. I'm going to have to take a lot of stuff apart anyways because i have to heat treat that paint @ 200* for an hour. I did a test run [heat treating] the head and it seems pretty stout and the durability of the paint improved dramatically and it is much harder to remove and scratch than the last paint I used (rustoleum BBQ paint)

Big Bill

Jun 3, 2011
arizona
Hey that motor turned out great, you did such a nice job with the tape
I thought it was satin blue paint . I have seen some nice looking Onyx's
on this forum.

Keep up the good work Bill

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
What's up guys this is the shake back with another update. Bad news is my fancy camera is moved out with my ex-gf so this series of updates will have limited pics. First up is the sprocket and how I trued it.

This first pic is just to show you that I made a spacer out of some duct tape wrapped around a 1 inch bushing that comes with most headsets. I placed it firmly in at first and eventually it squeezed itself out as the bolts tightened (last pic).

This pic is an example of how I tested for "true-ness" What I did was tighten all the bolts down until started to get critical and used a marker as placed then I spun the rim using the bike as a stand. Doing this I was able to effectively mark what the most un-true section of the sprocket and in effect also finding the bolts that I would have to tighten. Also, if your making one of these bikes, do yourself and remove the tire and tube entirely before even attempting to true the sprocket, also check to make sure your rim is true while your at it.

This pic is a good example of how I decided which bolt to tighten. As you can see, if the marker was more prevalent then the bolt needed to be tightened and if the marker wasn't present then I would not need to tighten the bolt directly under it.

As you can see in this picture I ended up getting it so true that it was very difficult to see which bolt needed tightening At this point the sprocket is basically installed except for a final tightening on some bolts, threadlock, and I again added locknuts to "double up" ensuring that the configuration would not come off (this worked very well in my first build so I decided to repeat it.)

One more thing, this is what my "tri-bolt" configuration looks like (kind-of) the current build has matching lock-nuts in order to be better balanced. Also on this second onyx build I USED BOTH SIDES OF THE RAGJOINT, this picture is from the last bike, and that rim "fell apart" under extremely heavy and idiotic use by the customer, so I am trying this build with both sides of the ragjoint and bending the brake arm instead of doing what I did the first time in hopes that these rims don't just suck that bad. If this rim falls apart then I'm going to have to find another means to attach a sprocket next build.

Like I said, the other builds tri-bolt configuration worked very well so I decided to stick with it.

More updates coming soon, I think I have enough pics for some more updates.

Last edited:

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
I stole these pics from another thread I have. It has been working great so far, even at high RPMs there is no arcing. Must have something to do with using double 12 gauge wire. No heat issues at all either.

I got some solder and soldered a new plug cap from the store and replaced the wire that was in there with this 12 gauge solid copper speaker wire.

Dobzeh

Apr 8, 2013
Florida
What's up guys, back with another update. haven't got a whole lot done because of Kent international. I called them up some time ago to place an order for the entire front end of a "Two-nine" bike because I figured it would save some money, but all it has done has created a lot of headache. For starters they sent me two entirely different shifters. I don't know how anyone could be that stupid but they managed to do it, furthermore they forgot to send me a headset what the sent me instead was a rear rim. I don't need no stinkin rear rim, and I have no idea how they got "rear rim" out of "head set" because they obviously spoke good english. So I spent the better part of today looking around for a headset. I finally pulled one off a bike I have sitting outside. I had to refurbish a stem and all its bolts to brand new. I am now waiting on paint for that part.

Anyway, I got the front suspension installed and I fine tuned the brakes so they don't bend the disc, surprisingly they come so out of whack if you put em on, you'll have squeelin brakes in no time. anyways here's the pics.

Im looking into buying just the front end as-well how much did it cost for it?

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
it wasn't worth the hassle to buy just the front end from kent international. They messed up the order twice (in one order) and I ended up getting a 155$ bill instead of the quoted 115$ over the phone. Next time I build one of these I'm just going to buy another 2-9 and scrap the frame, and keep the spare parts.

I'm on a huffy newport build at the moment.

Evil

Aug 14, 2013
St.Louis Mo.
I thought about buyin the Onyx..and wondered how hard it would be to buy tires for it..
Now I am starting to see more 29inch bikes at walmart..

JJSilver

Nov 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I am commencing on a Onyx build currently and am gathering all the parts that i will need to bring it to completion. I am looking at the mounting solution that you have come up with on that bike and would like to do something similar. What is the down tube width on that bike? Did you have any major issues mounting your rag joint sprocket? Does it fit properly on the hub? I will be ordering the bike to be delivered so it will be a fun complete build.