DIY mount for large 4-stroke engines

GoldenMotor.com

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Here's a engine mount that I made for my newest race bike... It's for a aluminum Felt cruiser with a 99cc Predator engine.

I use a engine mount from a 49cc 4-stroke kit & welded two 1/2 pipes on each end to protect the frame from damage.

This mount is easy to make & rock solid! (^)

Reactions: Hud

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I am surprised that the kit mount fits the Predator. I was given two mount plates for my 98cc cruiser, a kit mount and an agk Predator mount, and the ki mount bolt pattern did not line up with the 98cc's bolt pattern, whereas the Predator mount did.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
How about welding a flange on each side of the half tubing and use U-bolts to bolt to the downtube and seat tube. Use PlastDip to protect the frame and increase holding strength. Or instead of U-bolts, use another half of tubing with a flange on each side and bolt both flanges together.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
Don't use hose clamps, use T Bolt clamps. Strong like bull; strong enough to crush those aluminum tubes if you really wanted to, and typically come with locking hardware built in. And they're almost as cheap as hose clamps.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Don't use hose clamps, use T Bolt clamps. Strong like bull; strong enough to crush those aluminum tubes if you really wanted to, and typically come with locking hardware built in. And they're almost as cheap as hose clamps.
Yeah, I was going to recommend the same thing. Hose clamps are technically called worm gear clamps and can't be torqued as much as t-bolt clamps. Here's a chart if anyone is interested. It's at the bottom of the page:
http://www.clampco.com/techspec/engineering data specifications.asp

Chris
AKA: BigBlue