Ideling but not running

GoldenMotor.com

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
Hi All,

I have a Skyhawk GT2B 48cc 2 stroke engine. below is the link, where I got it from. Im having trouble getting my engine to produce power. I think it has a CNS carb (its got a fuel value on the carb itself)

48cc 2 stroke engine kit

It starts real easy. Soldered up the wires. Sealed the intake, Set the spark gap, fuel mix to 20:1, and removed the water from the carb.

I have tried setting the pacman clip to different positions on the needle. Still no luck.

It idles better with the choke on, and dies when the throttle is opened.

Could it be something wrong with float setup?

Is the engine leaning or flooding?

Any help is welcomed. Thanks Tim

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
Northam, Western Australia.
Mine does this when it's cold. It will idle, but if you give it any throttle it will die. I let it idle for a minute, kinda playing with the throttle, and after that I take the choke off and it's generally good to go.

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
Looking at other pics I do have the NT carb.

I will let it idle for about 5 min before applying throttle.

Is there any point in playing with the metal clip thing that sits on top of the float? I see it is used to stop flooding of the carb. should I look at another carb to buy?

RebelHellbilly

Apr 22, 2009
Salisbury,North Carolina
i would try a carb without the cut off on it and see wut it does. just put a new 1 on mine after i experimented with the 1 it came with and..well lets just say i played with too much lol. got 1 off ebay for $10. runs better than new now :)

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I can tell by the muffler that it is a 2099 or earlier SKyhawk so has an NT carb.
The 2010's have CNS carbs with the exact same problem, but the NT's are a different cause.

NT carbs are simple, they don't have a separate idle circuit. All it has is the idle screw, float level, and needle 'pac man' setting itself.
I like that term for the needle clip by the way ;-}

An easy first test is turn off the carbs gas valve and CAREFULLY drop the float bowl to check fuel level in it.
If you don't spill some chances are the the float tab that moves the fuel flow needle needs a TINY tweak.

Second easy is pull off the air cleaner and exhaust pipe and try it with the Pac Man clip in the middle.

Though it will be loud as heck, if it goes then it's a clogged pipe or air cleaner.
If not, try another spark plug.
You said you soldered the CDI wires?
Check the plug wire itself, and verify you capped off the white wire so it is not shorting when it vibrates.

Basically narrow the problem by finding out what it's not, then put those parts back until you know for sure it is just the carb.

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
Well, to say the least I could have taking off the intake tubing to check the cut out of the intake gasket has been punched out.

Full removal the of the carb, strip down and rebuild, still no luck.

After a trip to the auto store for some threat locker and gasket sealer, I removed the intake to seal it up. Quick removal of the center

Ran fine ever since, now some tuning of the brakes.....

pic soon

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Ya had a ho-made read valve there! [snork] Glad you found it before the motor sucked it up. Silly stuff happens to the best of us lol.