Engine not starting

GoldenMotor.com

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Ok so my bike has been running great! Until.... we went on vacation for about a week and a half with no riding. I tried to start it up by riding it down the hill as always following the usual procedure, turning the fuel on, twisting the throttle twice and pushing the fuel primer twice and no luck. I pushed and pushed and no luck. I about passed out trying.

So I tried again today by changing out the spark plug with no result. It has plenty of fuel flow and seems to try every now and then but then shuts down, applying throttle while peddling just gives a bogging sound.

Any ideas??
Help!!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
sounds like a plan. you said you changed out the plug was it wet after you rode the bike. If not then it is definitely in the fuel flow. My first major problem with my bike, back when I had a kit bike, was rust in the gas tank clogging the in tank screen. Well that was the first after I got the air leak in the intake manifold fixed. But you said you had fuel flow so maybe not the simple things. Do you have spark?

Last edited:

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Ok waiting on the replacement carb but in the mean time I tried taking out the plug and drying out the engine while the gas was off and then drained the fuel bowl of the carb.

I put the replacement china plug in and turned the gas back on and went through the normal procedure twist throttle twice, push in the tickler twice and then peddle like crazy while on the stand. The engine tried to start a couple of times but no luck, once it started and ran for a few seconds then died and backfired. Yikes!

I checked the spark and it seems to get good spark when holding close to the frame. I'm at a loss as it seems to be getting fuel as it's coming out of the muffler after trying to start a few times. Ugh!!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Here is something that I know happened once in a while back in the early days. The timing got screwed up on the spark. Had to do with a woodward key on the magneto or some such thing. Guys had gas and fire but at the wrong time. Not sure exactly what that was all about but norm knows for sure.

My problem was always air leaks at the intake.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Ugh! I cleaned my carb (checked float and all ports) and checked all the wiring but my little engine is still not starting. I have spark but maybe the CDI isn't producing enough or there is some sort of issue between the CDI and the Magneto. I have a warranty replacement carb on the way and have purchased a replacement CDI and Magneto. If it doesn't start after these parts I may just order a whole new motor kit.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
I put on the new replacement carb standard stock type, and a new NGK spark plug and no luck. The engine fires and runs for about 5-10 seconds with throttle and then eventually loses power and dies. I checked inside the magneto cover and there were no signs of woodruff key damage but then again I'm not sure what to look for on that or even how to tell if my magnet is out of alignment. I have a new CDI and Magneto on order so I'll see where it goes from here.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
drained all the fuel and mixed a new batch of premium with 32:1 and tried again. Primed and the engine will run for a few seconds and then dies out, it did actually idle for a few seconds this time and then died off. Bother!

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
Try starting it -at full constant wide open throttle WITHOUT PRIMMING. Did you blow through your fuel line from the carb end into your tank??

When you installed new carb,...did you also install new Gaskets???

Does your carb have a choke????

Does your manuall tell you gas/AIR RATIO at?

The magnetts should be right under the magneto with the piston at top dead center.