There's gotta be a better chain tensioner

GoldenMotor.com

epicboy

Nov 3, 2010
Agoura Hills, Ca
The one that comes with the happy time kit is total . I know some of you are able to get just the right chain length to do without the tensioner, however, for some, the tensioner is necessary. Here is one that i found that some dude made looks pretty good. Any thoughts, maybe Manic can bang out a few if his wife will let him. ...

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyingSchwinn

Oct 5, 2010
Oregon
What about just making a tensioner that pulls the rear wheel aft and doesnt use any of the Happy time tensioner parts. I am not having a happy time with my crappy engine kit, but If I dont throw it out my window I might post pics of my own crude tensioner if it works. Hapy happy joy joy.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
i made my own from a flat bar a drill gun a skatboard wheel and ime workes great havent had any problems unless i let it loose tensoin

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
It's a general belief with many MB builders here that using no tensioner at all is best.
I posted about it several days ago but I'm sure it was seen by the mods as 'self serving' and was deleted...
Search at the top of this page for 'tensionerless chain tensioner' & you'll see what I'm talking about.

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
I got this one off ebay. Seems to do the trick. It even has a stop bolt to limit the travel of the arm when starting.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
I used a 41 tooth sprocket and lo and behold it worked out so that my pedal chain and motor chain were just at just about the same level of tension so I could get rid of the tensioner at least for now.

In the mean time these guys have one for $36.95 plus $10 shipping though i haven't used one.

RedRock Cycles Upgrades

If anyone purchases one I would be interested in how well they work.