Gas Powered Crazy Kart Project

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I'm sure all of you have seen the Razor Crazy Karts.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrGFjAlawmg

I'm in the process of gathering parts to build one powered by a Robin EC06 engine. It won't be easy, but I'll give it a try. Also it won't be a quick build because although I have it in my head how to do it, I still have a lot of engineering to do. I can get all the basic dimensions from the youtube video. I will be copying their basic design.
The motor spins at least 8000 rpms, and if my calculations are correct, at 4:1 reduction and a 12'' drive wheel, that's around 60 mph. So it will need a double reduction of twice that for a speed of about 15 mph. Probably using a jack shaft, but a planetary would be sweet.
The motor is about 3 hp and should pull an adult okay. It's off of a water pump that destroyed the impeller and the previous owner chose no to repair.
Here's what I have acquired so far.

My shopping kart casters and scooter wheels are a bit larger than the Razor's, so I'll have to lower the chassis around them. My main engineering problem is the drive assembly. Engine mounted to a plate chained to a jack shaft and then the wheel. The fork going from the axle up past the motor to a steering head on top with a small steering wheel. Then a frame member welded to the sides of the frame and going up the the steering head so the whole engine, drive wheel, jack shaft and steering wheel will pivot full circle, plus a foot throttle with a cable that has it's own pivot to turn with it.

Anyway, comments and ideas are welcome.

Jan 24, 2012
letterkenny, ireland
Msrfan interesting choice of project, i have idea how you could do the throttle connection with full 360 degree workability, get a old bmx with gyro brakes and use bit at heax tube and extend length of second fitting final output cable, the bit at handle bars has a set of fittings so each cable is workable from virtually every possible angle.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Msrfan interesting choice of project, i have idea how you could do the throttle connection with full 360 degree workability, get a old bmx with gyro brakes and use bit at heax tube and extend length of second fitting final output cable, the bit at handle bars has a set of fittings so each cable is workable from virtually every possible angle.
Thanks Irish, that's exactly the type of thing I need. I forgot about BMX freestyle stuff. I'll make something similar. Good suggestion.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
That video looks like the parking lot at 5:05pm where I used to work. That is going to be more action than you would get with a pocket full of honey bees.

Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Steve.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
That video looks like the parking lot at 5:05pm where I used to work. That is going to be more action than you would get with a pocket full of honey bees.

Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Steve.
Yeah, when (if) I get it done I've got a young test pilot that owns one of the original Crazy Karts. If he gives it the ok, I'll try it myself. That should be a fun video.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
The Razor Krazy Cart is cool and def Crazy.....I think the coolest and one of the fastest Micro-Karts around was the Razor Micro (also branded "Tanaka PaverRacer"). The video of this Aluminum framed version with dual rear wheels was the BOMB! These karts would smoke the GoQuads!

https://youtu.be/8IdAHcW4RhM

Talk about a mini drift mobile!