first build, opinions

GoldenMotor.com

patrick88

Dec 30, 2010
Saint Paul
i have been shoping around for the first motor to buy. i want a reliability more than anything else, this kit is what im thinking...
Silver Grubee StarFire 66/80cc Bicycle Engine Kit EPA Certified BikeBerry.com
this model has the steel cylender sleeve. i understand that these kits can come with some pretty terrible parts.

is it possible to purchase this kit At $159 and add about $100 to replace the junk? is there a better motor at $250? if you were to get this kit and replace the junk, what would you replace it with? can i expect a solid 20 miles a day for about a year?

thanks!!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum, glad you've joined us. If I may let me suggest you do some reading here on the forum and get some ideas about which direction you need to take.
As far as "which is the best?" Our standard answer to that is look first for a reputable seller. After sale support is far more important than any advertised claims as to power, speed or reliability. You'll find these 2 stroke kits are all pretty much the same. What you'll need is the support from your selected vendor in the event that you have broken/missing parts or trouble after the installation. Check the warranty claims before buying and try to avoid saving a couple of dollars by purchasing from the cheap ebay sellers who might or might not be there when you need them. Take a look at the vendors listed down both sides of this page.
Good luck and have fun.

motorhead419

Jul 6, 2009
ohio
Welcome to the forum, glad you've joined us. If I may let me suggest you do some reading here on the forum and get some ideas about which direction you need to take.
As far as "which is the best?" Our standard answer to that is look first for a reputable seller. After sale support is far more important than any advertised claims as to power, speed or reliability. You'll find these 2 stroke kits are all pretty much the same. What you'll need is the support from your selected vendor in the event that you have broken/missing parts or trouble after the installation. Check the warranty claims before buying and try to avoid saving a couple of dollars by purchasing from the cheap ebay sellers who might or might not be there when you need them. Take a look at the vendors listed down both sides of this page.
Good luck and have fun.
I hope you have some basic mechanical skills and some free time as these will give you something to do..LOL..But they are fun and give you something to do in your free time. zpt