Engine rear mount breaks in engine block! Help!

GoldenMotor.com

StrontiumEthics

Aug 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NYC
Well his is a very new engine. Perhaps about less than 50 miles on it. Then. The rear engine mount snaps. One mount is ok but in the other mount the bolt broke inside of it. I manage to get like a quater inch of the bolt out via drilling and drilling but cant seem to get the rest out. I actually had to enlarge the mount holes beyond 6mm a little but I just cant seem to get the rest out. Its a wonderful engine, I dont want to loose it. What can I do? If I do succeed I will get a SBP engine hardware kit immediatly because before I was just using the cheap chinese bolts. All other 3 bolts are intact, just that ONE REAR MOUNT!

:-||

crobo

Mar 24, 2010
boston ma
are there any machine shops near you? what they can do in 5 min will take you a while and u might make it worse

BillyB

Jul 21, 2008
Los Angeles
I had a similar problem. After breaking 6 drill bits, and snapping 2 different types of bolt extractors (inside the block!), I used an engraving bit on my Dremel tool to grind out the bolt (and bits of the extractor tool), then used a cone shaped grinder bit to enlarge the hole.

Heating the metal with a small Benzamatic torch I had for joining plumbing parts together helped as well.

Then I went down to Sears, and bought a small Metric tap & die set to drill and tap new thread into the very ugly hole I had created.

I spent an enormous amount of time on this - probably 5 or 6 different sessions of between a 1 to 2 hours each.

It was a very frustrating, and time consuming process. But now that I succeeded, I'm quite glad I know how to handle it in the future.

Of course, you could just find a machine shop.