Air Leaks

GoldenMotor.com

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Don't try duct tape. Any 100% silicone caulk will do. Latex caulk with silicone is not what you want either. I've been a duct man for 23 years and know that duct tape is not really a permanent fix for anything. It de-laminates and is certainly not going to hold up when exposed to gasoline. I'm assuming you're trying to seal a leak around the inlet of the carb. Where are you located in Baltimore by the way?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Duct tape has some uses...motorized bicycles is not one of them. Where is your air (vacuum) leak? The most common place is on the intake side of the carburetor, either the gasket at the cylinder or the area where the carb slides onto the intake manifold. The kit supplied gaskets are notorious for early failure and the carb, if not properly sealed onto the intake manifold, will also leak. Use the recommended gasket sealers and be done with it. Go to a good auto parts store and spend less than you'd spend on a roll of duct tape for a product made to seal gaskets.
Tom

ZRTMWA

Feb 23, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
Would a hole in the exhaust gasket cause 4 stroking and a reduction in RPM's at full throttle? I definitely have a hole in my exhaust gasket right now but I figured that these problems were being caused an air leak somewhere around the carb.

If anything I can at least use duct tape to check for air leaks.

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
Duct tape won`t hold up to the heat.....I`ve made several gaskets my self....Or just order a few of them....Auto zone sells some gasket material to hold you till you order some new ones.....NO DUCT TAPE.....

ZRTMWA

Feb 23, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
I plan to put a tiny amount of JB weld over the hole in my exhaust gasket and see if that fixes my 4 stroking and reduction in RPM's at full throttle.

Edit: Just remembered that it wouldn't cut the engine with the choke on. This means I also have an air leak between my carb and engine, right?

Last edited:

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
I plan to put a tiny amount of JB weld over the hole in my exhaust gasket and see if that fixes my 4 stroking and reduction in RPM's at full throttle.

Edit: Just remembered that it wouldn't cut the engine with the choke on. This means I also have an air leak between my carb and engine, right?
Yes...Could be....