Anyone use a full face helmet?

GoldenMotor.com

WECSOG

Nov 10, 2014
North Alabama, USA
I usually wear a half helmet. For the protection yes; but also maybe a cop will decide not to hassle me because at least I'm wearing a helmet (which is required for motorcyclists in Alabama). I don't wear anything too motorcycle-looking, though..trk

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
WECSOG, I'm gonna sound like a broken record but I swear to you, cars give ya more room and realize your on some thing going faster with a MC kind of helmet, rather than a bicycle helmet.

Seriously, one of the best safety things ever. Keeps ya from the "pass ya on the left and than turn right, right in front of you" thing. They wait at intersections. Best way to avoid an accident is first be seen and then letting them know your going faster or are capable of going faster than they are assuming.

Really surprised me when I first got a funky, old world helmet and stopped using bike ones.

Don't take my word for it, Buddy. Try the same ride with both style helmets. It is bizarre how differently ya get treated by cars & trucks.

And can get some really great ones for cheap. (relatively) I like the foam filled ones more than the hard shelled/DOT. (I know and stop yelling at me! lol)

Foam filled 'cause every time I crash, (or fall off the small bus) I seem to just whack my head on the road. (less traveled) And not skid along. That bit of absorbing, cushion really saved me with a face plant crash once.

Think we chuckled @ "..every time I crash,"

No advise intended with any of that. Just what I do. I do suggest not crashing though. Great for the stories but can really, really hurt.

.duh.

Last edited:

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
Need to probably get a new helmet but i havent had any impacts with it on so i havent felt the need to spend more money on it. I do get a lot more respect with the helmet on and room from other vehicles.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I sure like my full face better now that the cold weather is back... I usually prefer to wear a half shell type in the summer months, but the full face is nice since it has a mic and speakers built in so I can jam to my favorite tunes or have a conversation on the phone while on 2 wheels... My friends usually don't get it when they ask me where I'm at and I tell them I'm on my bike, I usually gotta spell it out to them that I'm on my Harley going 80 mph down the highway and not just sitting on the bike. What's cool with it is the volume and phone answer button is on the side and big enough to use with gloves on, but the lack of caller id sux when the telemarketers call and you're cutting thru traffic somewhere...

Amarion1

Sep 15, 2012
Bellingham WA
I bought both my helmets at goodwill. The first was a 3\4 dirt bike helmet for $20. I just built my old motor kit onto a buddies bike so I gave that to him . and my current one is a full face mc helmet I got for $25. You can also look at pawn shops and other thrift stores as well. Just do a thorough damage check!

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
I use a full face. I wear it whenever I ride, even testing something. I'm used to the sound with it, so I can better hear the different parts of my bike with it (whereas without it.. I pretty much go deaf after 5 min).

I like it much better than a bicycle helmet. I can't smoke, eat, or drink when wearing it but that is a small price to pay for safety. The last time I decided to finish my cigarette and make a run to the local liquor store, I put the bicycle helmet on and immediately regretted it, all the way to the store and all the way back.

It came free with the first motorcycle I bought. In my time of owning it, it has never been dropped or otherwise experienced any shocks. It has numerous scratches and scuffs, no face shield of any kind. Just the helmet and stuff inside. Riding at night without clear glasses is tough.. the eyes water strongly cause of the cold night air.

Buying a helmet I would not buy anything that is not brand new. Helmets are one of those things that get used a lot and can be pushed or thrown around without any sign of such history. One that has been dropped is no good anymore! Sometimes it is better to buy a new product and yourself give it the careful treatment required for it to perform its task correctly. Especially with the most important safety item you could buy. Do you buy used tires for your bike?

You don't have to go all out options either.. it would be nice to have that rearview helmet but I can't afford it. As far as sound and phone, I just put on my earbuds before putting the helmet on, and have different ringtones for known numbers.

Skyking

Aug 22, 2014
North Central Texas
I wear a Hurd(sp?) snow board, skate board helmet. It's fluorescent green, which is a color that stands out more than any other I've ever seen on the road. There is nothing in nature, nor are many man made items found in this color, so it really draws attention. It's Very lightweight, and ventilated. I wear a Davida helmet in cold weather.
I always wear leather shoes or boots, and I always wear gloves.
I ride with a firm mind set that I am invisible.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Yeah I wear my flight line jacket when it's cold out since it's neon yellow with reflective strip on the nack, chest, and sleeves so I'm a lot more viable when the weather cools down. I used to have some of those neon colored mesh vests which work good in the summertime but don't have any of them now. We had to wear them on base anytime we were on a bicycle or motorcycle so I always had one folded up somewhere on the bike.
When I ride now it's always a helmet, a half shell for the summertime along with eye protection like safety glasses or sun glasses with polycarbonate lenses so they won't shatter if a rock flies up etc. I also wear gloves all the time because anytime you get separated from your bike when it's moving the first thing everyone does by reflex is to put your hands out to break the fall, and pavement can grind off all the skin from your palms in a fraction of a second. Even at low speed if you throw your hands out to break a fall there's all kinds of stuff that can shred your hands like small pebbles or gravel, pieces of broken glass or whatever... it can still hurt you at under 5 mph.
I always wear steel toe boots too for ankle support and to protect the feet. The steel toes aren't mamdatory, but on a motorcycle it makes shifting thru the gears a lot more pleasant and a lot easier.
In warm weather I wear a leather vest since it'll slide on the pavement and it will save you from a lot of road rash on your back or chest. In the winter or colder months I wear the thick leather jackets with body armor in the back, elbows, and shoulders. I got a mesh jacket with body armor for the summer months and wear it when on the motorcycles if I have to go thru heavy traffic or if it's raining.
And I prefer the full face helmet for longer trips since it's quieter, more comfortable, and we'll vented so it stays nice and cool inside on the highway. I also like the full face when on the motorized bikes when going fast but prefer the half shell helmets for just cruising.

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
I wouldn't wear a fullface in my area, it would attract a lot of unwanted attention. I know the engine is loud, but it can be turned off and pedaling can appear normal.

Greenbiker

Feb 12, 2016
Oklahoma
I dont know what it was, but i was doing about 25 or 30 on an old friction drive staton kit one night, and got hit HARD in the eye with SOMETHING BIG! It wasnt a bug, it was heavy, dry and left nothing behind. It hurt so much, im surprised i didnt loose control and fall, but i held it up. It coukd have been a bat or bird, but what ever it was hit like a three year old having a fit flailing around with those creepy little fists they have. Didnt bruise, but it felt like it should have. I started wearing safety glasses after that. A visor of some sort would be a good idea even it wasnt a full helmet.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
I always wear a motorcycle open face helmet and safety glasses, leather gloves, and a horse hide jacket.

When funds allow I will be upgrading to a full armored jacket and solid boots.

Last edited: