Tank advice

GoldenMotor.com

SMoRZ3

Jul 25, 2011
West Michigan
Hello All,

I've been enjoying all the stuff I've seen on the forums thus far.

I have a friction drive engine on my bike and it works pretty well. My issue is the tank on the engine is so small. I would like to put a secondary tank on my bike that either feeds right into the carb, bypassing the original tank, or somehow ties into the original tank. I would like to get the parts locally from your typical hardware store and not order anything online if possible. And advice? Right now I just have a small 12oz coke bottle filled with extra fuel in my water bottle holder... Anybody have any easy solutions? I've read up on some of the tanks you've made here, but most seem like a lot of work, and expensive to built or use tools/skills I don't have.

Thanks,
SMoRZ3

Spaz_Static

Jul 24, 2011
North Carolina, USA
It kind of depends on how professional you want it to look.

If you want it to look amazingly, then it's going to take a lot of work, possibly some ordered parts, and maybe tools and skills you don't have. But if you don't mind it being somewhat of a "hack job" then you could just take anything water tight and with a cap (another fuel tank obviously being preferable) and just get a Y-connector to connect both tanks to the carb. You could (and should) have a shutoff valve for the secondary tank too.

Anyway, that's just my thought, you'll probably want to wait until a more experienced builder says something.

SMoRZ3

Jul 25, 2011
West Michigan
I'm not trying to make it look really professional, just something safe and will last a while.

I was thinking about getting a THIS or something simular to tap into the line that already leads to the Carb. Then I would just run a new line to the new tank. I would use a petcock and maybe an inline fuel filter from the secondary tank.

I guess my only issue is all the car part fuel line things seem to be 1/4" in size and it seems my carb wants 1/8" lines...

And then of course I'll have to find a tank....

Thanks for the reply, maybe someone else has had to do this and will post what they did for this problem.

-SMoRZ3

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
You could use a T fitting from WW Grainger supply I am sure they have one to fit but as long as the tank is higher than the engine to allow gas to gravity feed I would just mount a peanut tank like what comes in kits and put in a 3/32" or 1/8" hose barb and inline shutoff,

SMoRZ3

Jul 25, 2011
West Michigan
Ok, thats what I was thinking about. Is the kit tanks usually a 1/4" line? I'm just wondering how I can get from a 1/4" ID to a 1/8" ID....

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Yes it is 1/4" line you can order just an outlet barb with make threads for 1/4" NPT to 1/8" barb end from Grainger. then put in an inline shutoff / filter like in a weedeater.

SMoRZ3

Jul 25, 2011
West Michigan
Ok, I'm not having very much luck with Grainger finding what I need but whatever. I hate that the shipping for the tanks is about as much as half the tank, argh... Thanks for the input!

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Ok, I'm not having very much luck with Grainger finding what I need but whatever. I hate that the shipping for the tanks is about as much as half the tank, argh... Thanks for the input!
Check at Piston Bikes they can do priority USPS fixed rate or maybe post you want to buy one in the Swap and Shop Thread someone may well have one from a kit they haven't used to sell cheap I know that Venice Bike works and Culver City Classics have posted them there in the past.

SMoRZ3

Jul 25, 2011
West Michigan
Alright, thanks for the tips. Hate to spend a fortune since i already have on the kit and still need to get better wheels and then like in the near future for safety and longevity! Oh well, comes with the territory I suppose! :)