NEWB some mechanical issues

GoldenMotor.com

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
Ok my friend doesn't really have access to the computer so I'm attempting to do some trouble-shooting research for him. I got a pretty good understanding of the issues he's having though.

Also, the engine type is similar to that of in the "teardown" sticky, but differs in the way that it does not have the round tubular intake piece, the carburetor simply bolts directly to the engine (he also has an engine EXACTLY as pictured in the teardown sticky he uses for parts).

The engine is only maybe 2 months old, but the clutch seems worn. The flower nut (hope that's the term for it) seems to be cranked down quite a bit, with almost enough clearance to put a regular nut on it.
  • Why would the clutch wear down that fast? The old one didn't do this, and as far as I know the riding style hasn't changed from the old motor that has a perfectly good clutch after a year of use.
  • The one off the parts engine is good, and is the same size. Are they relatively easy to swap?
  • What exactly is the method of tightening/loosening the flower nut without destroying it? He was doing it flathead-hammer-chisel style, and it showed.

Last edited:

crobo

Mar 24, 2010
boston ma
not sure what the problem is, but if you pull the clutch handle in while trying to turn the flower nut it will be much looser because there will be no pressure on it.