First attempt isnt going so well

GoldenMotor.com

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
tell boygofast you will be needing a new mag coil as well when the magnet lets go like yours did it will damage the coil windings only 4 screws hold on the coil and it is a set item no adjustment so it will go back on the same way it came off.
when the mags coil take a hit form an exploding mag rotor it can damage the winding the coil will still work but the winding maybe damaged and shorting out enough that you will still get a spark but when the sparkplug is in the cylinder and under the compression of the fuel/mix it will not be able to fire or fire a hot enough spark to light of the mix. I've been there and done that. I even took the coil apart and found wires dented and more than likely shorting out. the engine would run but not perform changing out the mag coil fixed the problem. I bought the engine with the mag rotor broken and the mag coil had a very small ding on the windings.

Last edited:

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
If you have spark, the coil seems to be working but I guess you just never know. I say that because I know things were flying aroung in there. Are the wires hooked up correctly. I made that boo boo once and still had spark but would not start.

Denny5178

Feb 27, 2009
Pittsburgh Pa
Yeah, I read your topic. I also had the wires crossed the day I hooked it up but thats straight now. Im considering just buying a kit off That Dax person. He seems to be a good person to deal with and has a warranty. Then I can spend some time fixing this one while still having a running one. I cant believe such a simple setup has me so stumped.
Also, I have a trak sole ride 200. Its a beach cruiser type bike with a 3 speed rear hub. Is there a way to connect the sprocket without changing the back wheel? the hub has the drum brakes on the left side and the sprocket wont go around it. This bike will be my 2nd motor attempt I hope.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Trust me, I know what it's like, you want to smash the thing and stomp all over it. You read my thread, I felt the same, I could not even sleep that night. In the end it didn't cost me a penny and the bike has worked fine since.
Try spraying some gas into the carb or even putting a bit of gas into the cylinder and lets see if we can get it to fire.
By the way, did you installed the key?

Denny5178

Feb 27, 2009
Pittsburgh Pa
Trust me, I know what it's like, you want to smash the thing and stomp all over it. You read my thread, I felt the same, I could not even sleep that night. In the end it didn't cost me a penny and the bike has worked fine since.
Try spraying some gas into the carb or even putting a bit of gas into the cylinder and lets see if we can get it to fire.
By the way, did you installed the key?
The key is in but I think its damaged. Its the half moon key but its got an indent on the round part. Maybe thats a problem? I am going to try putting a little gas in the cylinder and if that doesnt work ill try and find a new key. I have three keys that came with it and they are all too wide:-||

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Take a flat file and rub the key back and forth until it gets thin enough. You'll lose a bit of skin on your finger but I won't feel a thing.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Take a flat file and rub the key back and forth until it gets thin enough. You'll lose a bit of skin on your finger but I won't feel a thing.

snork Toy time. Cracked me up.
(Ain't funny unless some body is bloody) ((I miss my well spent, insane youth))

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
Yeah, I read your topic. I also had the wires crossed the day I hooked it up but thats straight now. Im considering just buying a kit off That Dax person. He seems to be a good person to deal with and has a warranty. Then I can spend some time fixing this one while still having a running one. I cant believe such a simple setup has me so stumped.
Also, I have a trak sole ride 200. Its a beach cruiser type bike with a 3 speed rear hub. Is there a way to connect the sprocket without changing the back wheel? the hub has the drum brakes on the left side and the sprocket wont go around it. This bike will be my 2nd motor attempt I hope.

A shifter kit from sick bike parts.

Denny5178

Feb 27, 2009
Pittsburgh Pa
Well, Its been awhile but now that Pittsburgh is not freezing cold and snowing, I tried some things. The bike now backfires and pops while trying to start it. It is spitting out raw fuel and the plug gets covered in it. I was told to set the timing but nobody in my area seems to know how to. Also I was told to adjust the air fuel screw and I did that probably to every possible position. Any advise?

Denny5178

Feb 27, 2009
Pittsburgh Pa
Now that winter has left Pittsburgh, Im back to working on the bike. Now, it is popping and backfiring while trying to start it. There is raw fuel on the plug and coming out of the air filter housing and on the exhaust. I was told to adjust the air fuel screw, and I did many times, and try to set the timing which I cant figure out. Any Advise? Thank you in advance

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
There really is no timing or an air adjust screw on these things, I'd be looking at a stuck or mis-adjusted float level in the carb. If the fuel bowl overfills, that extra gas pretty much gets sucked into the intake. I guess it could also be a bad plug or poor ignition due to a bad wire but I'd start with the carb. I'm going to assume that the slider in the carb was installed properly and is able to slide all the way down when you release the throttle..and that you are not leaking air at the carb.

Did you ever get a new key? That "small indent" you mention could throw off the timing.

Last edited: