Tips on choke?

GoldenMotor.com

JaxInsany

May 6, 2013
Portland, OR
Hello to the forums! I am questing for tips on how to have a smoother engine warm up. I am having consistent jerky starts when I am releasing the choke and I was wondering if there was any technique to it besides going by ear and slowly letting off the choke. Any ideas? Should i quickly let off the choke or slowly back it off or leave it on for more than a few seconds? Thanks!

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
take the choke off as soon as it will run without it, then sit for a couple min to left the engine warm up a bit

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I pull in the clutch as soon as my engine starts, then turn off the choke and wait a few seconds till it clears out before taking off.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Instead of full choke try it about 1/2. These little engines all have a personality of their own. Some like the choke, some do well without it. A lot depends on how well the engine is broken in, your elevation above sea level, your fuel to oil ratio and other factors.
We usually suggest to experiment and find what works best for your particular engine.

Also jerky action can be caused by trying to ride too slow with the clutch engaged. Anything under about 10mph and you should disengage the clutch and pedal assist the bike.

Tom