Pirate Cycles?

GoldenMotor.com

cimel

Aug 12, 2011
idaho
Any body know how to get a hold of these guys? I ordered a wheel from these guys and it got here monday. One problem, they sent me the wrong size. I have emailed them a couple of times and tried to leave them a message but there mail box is always full. Do you think I should send it back now or what tell they contact me?

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I dont know whats up @ Pirate a couple years ago they were the place for customer service, it seems of late they are having issues. If you payed with pay-pal file a claim as a last resort but keep trying, they are busy over there.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
If you ordered online, I would just send it back with a note explaining why you are sending it back, and what you would like them to do about it.

Hoze513

Nov 24, 2011
Joliet, illinois
Keep calling them, eventually they will answer there phones. There are some days that they just don't answer there phones at all. But keep trying.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
Don't send it back with getting return merchandise number . I've had good luck getting hold of them the afternoon & Saturday noon. Don't both with e-mails they get some many they don't read them. Justin told himself. Some with phone. Blow up their phone.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
If you ordered online, I would just send it back with a note explaining why you are sending it back, and what you would like them to do about it.
Yep they will exchange it...They just won't answer any emails or phone calls for some reason.

ElGordo

Feb 26, 2013
California
After ordering a PK80 kit from Pirate Cycles on a Friday night ("Same day shipping guaranteed on all engine kits") I received an automated confirmation of my order and my debit card was charged, but I didn't receive any shipping info, So after a full business day (Saturday because J takes Sunday and Monday as his weekend) I looked at the site and saw a new message (still present 2/26/13) stating that any orders placed after 2/20/13 would be held for 6-10 days until new sprockets came in.

I tried calling two different phone numbers listed on the website beginning just a few minutes after the shop opened (10am eastern) one went to a voicemail box which was full, and the other rang for 3 minutes then gave a busy tone. I looked for an email address or other contact info, but none is listed on the site, so I emailed a response to the auto-confirmation I got asking for a call or email before shipping the kit because I wanted to change to the black engine and add some other parts to my order.

Three hours later I tried calling again, and instead of four rings I got two before switching to the full voice mail box.

Forty five minutes later, after trying to have my credit card company stop payment on the charge I finally got through to some one who never identified himself but I'm assuming was the owner. I explained what happened and that I needed a vendor who would be available during his scheduled business hours when I needed to order parts, and not have to hunt him down wondering if he even received my order.

I was ready to hear any excuse he had for why I hadn't heard anything from him, but got no apology, no explanation, and as yet I haven't seen the refund on my card.

I would go anywhere else before Pirate Cycles. This was the worst customer experience I've had in YEARS!! :(

Bummer because he's one of the few companies who will ship a PK80 to CA

If you read this Justin, call me for tips on how to keep customers. I ran a successful restaurant in Portland OR, and even though we're cooler and more laid back on the West Coast, we show up on time to work and call our customers back before they get so frustrated that they cancel their order...

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
El Gordo ,if you knew about your reputation ,and you ordered anyway . then I would say you made yourself walk the plank . they Jack me around 3 * and now I am done with them .and there's a guy on ebay the sketch and plus PK kids Jen with PK 80's receiving a picture of the manual for less money than what they charge . I hope you can swim because the Sharks are in the water .

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
BTW, it's not cool to come to the forum bit chin' about a vendor as your first post when they don't jump though your hoop.

ElGordo

Feb 26, 2013
California
Huh?
Ditto...

Huffy, did you mean to say that I had a reputation I knew about before? This is my first build, (starting with a Micargi Tahiti Bike) and I hadn't heard anything negative about Pirate before I ordered. I posted here and on other forums to hopefully prevent the next guy from having the same bad luck.

I'll be ordering from some one who's actually here in CA next time.

Oh, and I surf with sharks all the time. Here in the Monterey bay White Sharks are almost as common as motorized bikes! People are way worse than sharks.

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
Ditto...

Huffy, did you mean to say that I had a reputation I knew about before? This is my first build, (starting with a Micargi Tahiti Bike) and I hadn't heard anything negative about Pirate before I ordered. I posted here and on other forums to hopefully prevent the next guy from having the same bad luck.

I'll be ordering from some one who's actually here in CA next time.

Oh, and I surf with sharks all the time. Here in the Monterey bay White Sharks are almost as common as motorized bikes! People are way worse than sharks.
places that carry 66cc engines in CA will not ship you one under any circumstances (bikeberry.com, ebay...etc) just buy one off of craigslist, there are plenty of guys who make a trip out of state and buy a bunch of these then come back and resell them

ElGordo

Feb 26, 2013
California
places that carry 66cc engines in CA will not ship you one under any circumstances (bikeberry.com, ebay...etc) just buy one off of craigslist, there are plenty of guys who make a trip out of state and buy a bunch of these then come back and resell them
Actually, I have found two companies here in CA that ship to CA residence buyers.

www.motovelo.us

and

VeniceMotorBikes.com

Motovelo has the highest price tag I've seen, but I'd try either of these before I went to pirate again. I'll be calling Venice Motor Bikes to order my 66cc kit with money refunded from Pirate Cycles.

ElGordo

Feb 26, 2013
California
BTW, it's not cool to come to the forum bit chin' about a vendor as your first post when they don't jump though your hoop.
Thanks for making this point Joe, I was disappointed to have such a negative topic as my first post, but felt that it was necessary because it WASN'T about a vendor not jumping through my hoop, this situation was a vendor failing to deliver on a guarantee, and then not being available to the customer inconvenienced by his failure.

I'll be posting more about my experience with this build, and hopefully lots of positive reviews for vendors that help me out. I think that other newbies deserve to hear both sides of the story about vendors.
Heaven knows I wish I could have read a negative review about Pirate's lack of communication/business skills. If I had known I'd have to beg and plead to get any service I never would've wasted my time...

My Credit card company was very helpful when I explained the situation, but their protocol is to wait 7 days from a charge from a merchant before disputing. Justin did reverse that charge after I spent at least an hour dialing and re-dialing before he finally picked up... Too bad he didn't check his email, I actually asked to add items to my order in the email he never saw... In business this is what we call leaving money on the table.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
motovelo....nnnnnnoooooo!!!!!!!! venice..yes!!!! do not dive in the empty motovelo pool. look before you leap! read up here. your see. dennis

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
Motovelo is is ridiculously overpriced you charged twice is much, claims his engines are the Fast and they're not. andy is horrible whole lot of showing hype he's circle you smoking whistles .he offers no warranty . I suggest you get yourself a friend or family member it's outside of California and do it that way .