BoFab Cycles Schwinn Gp50..Morini clone!

GoldenMotor.com

IreBo

Jul 22, 2011
Monterey,CA
So this is my KTM,Lem,ect. clone engine build. It is on a Schwinn Clairmont 26"
It has a BoFab exhaust, Accel ignition wire upgrade. It fits perfectly in this frame with no clearance issues. crank does not hit and can peadle freely. Tight but fits well.

Attachments

IreBo

Jul 22, 2011
Monterey,CA
I can possibly help folks or build an exhaust for the gp50/morini, and i can help with mounting systems as long as i know what bike its on... if anybody is looking to get one of these killers but is intimidated by the fab work involved. i can also build full ride ready cycles..... just putting it out their..

Attachments

Last edited:

IreBo

Jul 22, 2011
Monterey,CA
I really like the clone engine.. it runs great! and sounds like ,well... A DIRT BIKE!! Very nice tone. a bit louder than a China Girl, but not much, just better sound over all.

Attachments

takeitez

Dec 19, 2011
Clayton Missouri
That is a cool looking build. Just wondering and it might be a stupid question but would it be possible to make bolt on brackets that hook on to the engine and then on to the frame? If the mounts where just made with a larger area and more bolts do you think they could stand up to these kinds of engines? And if you don't think so why not?

IreBo

Jul 22, 2011
Monterey,CA
yea i think bolt-ons are in the future for BoFab Cycles... it will work fine. i have an idea for mounts that can fit diffrent bike frames but you may need to cut and drill to length but will be filly welded....... bit i figure if people cant cut and drill they shouldnt be building gas bikes anyways...

any thoughts on that?

Mobbin'Deep

Apr 16, 2010
Far away from home
yea i think bolt-ons are in the future for BoFab Cycles... it will work fine. i have an idea for mounts that can fit diffrent bike frames but you may need to cut and drill to length but will be filly welded....... bit i figure if people cant cut and drill they shouldnt be building gas bikes anyways...

any thoughts on that?
cut and drill frame? fully welded to frame? not understanding. just bough one of these motors though yo

i was just gonna make some mounts out of 1/8in

And whats the deal with the exhaust...

Ktm pipes are not cheap and hard to find...kx65 pipes fit morini, so i assume it fits this...

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Nice bike, IreBo!

You'll be giving quite a few MBers an opportunity to install the Morini clone.

IreBo

Jul 22, 2011
Monterey,CA
The mounts will be a clamp/unbolt type with motor mounts welded to them. The front mount will be made long for diff frames so you will have to cut and drill a bolt hole in the front mount. Just cut to fit and drill a hole. Done. Rear mounts will need no work done to them and may have intragrated chain tensioner/guide.. As for the pipe. I think it most likely will need to be custom fabbed for the bike. Engines will most likely be in slightly diffrent angles.. Kx65 pipe is a bit large. I used one on my BoFab cafe build.. Big chamber!

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
How will one of those bad boys cost? ( the engine mounts)

...it's really one of the main things holding me back from buying this engine in the future (very near future), don't have the welding tools and don't know how to also. But I can do the rest of the cutting, drilling measuring, etc...

I was thinking of getting a grubee gta-1 frame or some other kind of cruiser frame with the ability to make a inflame tank.

Idk yet really, but I'm gonna start planning and sketching while figuring out a budget for this monster I'm about to conceive.

IreBo

Jul 22, 2011
Monterey,CA
well cost at the min to build you're self a bike will be at about 1000. 500 for the gp50 from dax, 200 or so for a bike (if the bike costs less than like 150 or 160 new, don't use it, i.e. a huffy cranbrook for 79 from Walmart, save you're life and get a schwinn or firmstrong, with the slightly better metal frame) you need a tank ,throttle,sprocket ect from a kit and separately its more expensive.. 120 or so for front disc conversion so you can stop while doing 60!

i have not come up with a price for the mounts yet. im still fitting them to different size bike frames. tedious.. and ill admit ive been riding the crap out of my bike!!

IreBo

Jul 22, 2011
Monterey,CA
So this is what i did for the drive sprocket... it was way too wide for my 415... i ordered a 420 and it still was tight! so i clamped the drill to the bench.. made a chuck for the sprocket and ziptied the trigger on... took my grinder and took off 1.3mm off the outside, it ended up at 4.20 mm. then i put the sprocket back on with the outside flipped to be in the inside... it took about .5" off the width. moved the chain in in other words.. great trick!! now i run the 415 gold chain.. i wanted to use a smaller chain to keep chain weight down to get up to speed faster...

Attachments

Last edited:

IreBo

Jul 22, 2011
Monterey,CA
more.........

oh and p.s... when i took off the cover to get to the sprocket i found 3 screws and 3 washers floating around in my ignition!!!! when i first test ran it i never even herd them in their, and no ratlin parts cause they wer on the magnet... you all should take the covers off to just look for first start... the screws had nothing to do with the engine... its like they wer put in their to mess it up,,,?? hmm well i avoided disaster luckily...

and the clutch would not engage... i re-stacked the cone washers and took one out i put them in this order... SHAFT SIDE- ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) -bell side

Attachments

Last edited:

IreBo

Jul 22, 2011
Monterey,CA
And ive found that this engine vibrates in a crazy way... it has cracked 2 gas tanks at the stud mount.. so i welded washers for a larger area and used rubber pads to isolate the tank.... i welded the tank u-plate thing (lower strap) to the frame as mount tabs... now the tank floats on the rubber isolaters... its awsome.. helps with funny noises i never knew came from the tank....lol

Attachments

IreBo

Jul 22, 2011
Monterey,CA
thats the crack on the tank.... have to look hard but one was like just over an inch.... i got doused in gas and it happend twice.... and this is the new front end with the disc break!! its so solid and stops very well!!

Attachments