Amped Up Warrior

GoldenMotor.com

gstrope

Feb 19, 2009
texas
Nice gstrope, very nice! I see you've opted for no front derailleur... I've thought about that myself but can't decide - is it geared high enough that you can help it at speed?

BTW - I think I'm gonna steal... erm *cough* "be inspired by" yer chain routing/idler method, it's very close to what I needs :D

All in all it's a wicked clean build, looks comfy as heck too FTW (^)
I don't have a front derailleur but I still have two chainrings and you can shift the chain over manually. I have found the large chainring is perfect for power assisted riding. I have the small chainring for extra low gearing when the battery starts to run out or if I have to pedal home for some reason. This setup is working fine for me. And yes the seat is super comfy, I would recommend it to anyone.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
That makes a lot of sense, I didn't see the lil ring in the pic heh

Come to think on it, you've solved a problem for me - I've wanted to be able to assist my bikes at speed, like when starting to lug up a hill or w/e. Problem is they're geared too low for me to help. Considering an extra large ring on the taddy I was concerned the derailleur wouldn't make the jump... derp - I can ofc just set it manually :oops:

Thanks gstrope! Guess I was over thinking the problem heh

So yer usin' the the Currie 24V 450W on this 'un too right? ...and you've said yer gettin' 22-30mph which is bout perfect I figure - ya mentioned yer usin' SLAs... what's their AH & how many do ya have if ya don't mind me asking? Have you run 'em dead to see what your range is yet? I know that's a tricky one what with pedal assist & hills & whatnot...

gstrope

Feb 19, 2009
texas
That makes a lot of sense, I didn't see the lil ring in the pic heh

Come to think on it, you've solved a problem for me - I've wanted to be able to assist my bikes at speed, like when starting to lug up a hill or w/e. Problem is they're geared too low for me to help. Considering an extra large ring on the taddy I was concerned the derailleur wouldn't make the jump... derp - I can ofc just set it manually :oops:

Thanks gstrope! Guess I was over thinking the problem heh

So yer usin' the the Currie 24V 450W on this 'un too right? ...and you've said yer gettin' 22-30mph which is bout perfect I figure - ya mentioned yer usin' SLAs... what's their AH & how many do ya have if ya don't mind me asking? Have you run 'em dead to see what your range is yet? I know that's a tricky one what with pedal assist & hills & whatnot...
Yeah the chainring is a 52/42 which seems perfect for this setup.

No this one isn't a Curry. This one has an AmpedBike 36 volt hub. It uses three 12 amp batteries. It is much more powerful than the Curry but not as much low end torque. I have run them almost all the way down in 45 minutes of mostly powered riding with about a 10 mile range. I am going to try a mixed pedaling and power endurance run soon.

gstrope

Feb 19, 2009
texas
Just an update on the riding experience of this trike. It is very comfortable, fast and it can take a corner at 15 to 18 mph. Hats off to Brad for this low slung design. The trike exhibits no tendency to tip over, the front wheels will slide if you corner real fast. The speed with just the motor on flat ground is 22mph. I have hit 30 going downhill, of course the weight of the batteries is a help on that. You can pedal and feed in just the amount of motor assist that you want. I have 10 gears to pick from on hills so if you want to conserve the battery for a long ride you can pick the gear and motor assist that suits you. Running on battery alone I have about 45 minutes and a 10 mile range.