Leaving motorized bicycle outside????

GoldenMotor.com

ncsubiker

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I am a college student and do not really have a garage or cover to put my motorized bike under when not in use. Will it hurt these bikes to let them sit outside all the time? I can put a tarp or cover over it but thats about it. I didnt know if the humidity and temperature ups and downs will effect the motor any. Any ideas? Anyone out there have the same problem?

Thanks

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Re: Leaving MB outside????

Just try to keep moisture away from the carburetor and the CDI. If you can cover the bike with a tarp that would be the best. Temperatue/humidity are not really factors you should worry about. Anti-theft should concern you more.
Tom

ncsubiker

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh, NC

Thanks!! Yeah I can lock it up right outside my door and look at it through the window. I keep my current bike inside but sadly since this one has gasoline in it I cannot do the same.I will still be getting a U-bolt lock and good waterproof cover for it. Maybe if it is covered, they will not mess with it??? thats what I am hoping anyways!
Thanks for the advice!

Comrade Alfonzo

Jul 15, 2009
Whidbey Island, WA

I gots a similar problemo, I have to leave my bike in the bike rack outside the school, I live in the NW, so a constant light drizzle is expected, I figured once I seal the mag wires where they emerge with some more duct tape and the top of the carb at the cable also with duct tape, then I'll just wrap the carb and CDI in a couple plastic bags, anything else to worry about?

ncsubiker

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh, NC

Using some sort of silicone sealant or waterproofing sealant (found at almost every auto parts store) would probably provide a better waterproof seal on the electronics, not sure about the carb slide cable.