Chain pops constantly! HELP!

GoldenMotor.com

Nerevar

Oct 9, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
Hi i have a problem... My chain pops constantly. Are there any sprocket alignment tips you have? Perhaps a new hub with the sprocket attached? Mine just wont stay straight! Any suggestions?

Justin:-||

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
You should lift up the rear wheel and turn the wheel round and round until you see where the chain starts to go off track. You can also do this to see if the sprocket is wobbling. If it is wobbling I'd tighten the nuts on the spots that can use some pulling inwards towards the right. I'd also see if the chain is too loose and shorten the chain. A pic would help.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Nerever,
The kit supplied #415 chain can give you some problems. Check it closely for binding and either free up those areas or replace the chain with a good quality industrial #41 chain. This chain is available at Grainger, Ace Hardware, Tractor Supply and other industrial suppliers. I've experienced rough spots in the kit chain the will cause the problem you're having. I've seen rollers that wouldn't roll and even a kink (twist) in the kit chain. Also make sure your chain tensioner, if you're using one, is tracking true and not allowing the chain to run off to one side or the other. Most of the chain tensioner brackets will require a slight twist to align it perfectly with the drive and driven sprockets. With the chain removed, spin your rear wheel and watch for any wobble in the rear sprocket. It must run true to keep the chain running smooth. Use the advice above to make sure your sprockets are running true and wobble free. Hope this helps.
Tom

Last edited:

Down_South

Aug 28, 2008
North Carolina
My setup is wobbling like a bowl full of jelly!! Chain pops every once and a while. I just got my tax refund from the government (good sized check for once!!), I think I'll buy one of those nice clam shell adapters. This is an important safety issue and I'm tired of fighting the blasted thing.

Nerevar

Oct 9, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
I kinda remedied it by taking another link out of the chain, but now it's kinda tight... :-( So i was riding for a bit then the back tire popped! I don't know if that was due to the tight chain, but i'm beginning to think this bike is cursed!

Down_South

Aug 28, 2008
North Carolina
I'm sorry your bike is giving you a fit. Hang in there! I've had the same trouble before. :-||Its a pain in the neck for sure, but you'll be alright. (^) if it gets on your nerves really bad, just take a break and try later (that's what I do when my patience runs out).

I want my bike to run perfectly, so I hope the clam shell adapter helps (couldn't hurt to try it). Not a bad deal for 51 bucks! The thing that keeps me wanting to invest in this bike project is the fact that there is tons of room for improvement and innovation (not to mention 150 MPG). You almost have to have a kind of faith and a will to see it through with these engine kits. It will work, Just give it some time.

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
do not loose hope!!! I have finally fixed my issued. Here's what I did and hope it help you guys.

1) remove the rear wheel, check for axial and radial play on the bearing. It was loose and wobbling around causing the whole wheel to wobble in the first place. Which means that there's no way the sprocket would be straight/true. I retighten the bearing/axle.

2) reinstalled the sprocked but only tighten 1/4 turn at so as to minimize too much pressure at one location. (patient is key)

3) put the wheel back in and check for sprocket to stay true. tighten 1/4 of a turn on each nut at a time.....this step would reduced wobbling slowly until it is acceptable (~1.5mm of play)

4) reinstalled the chain and voila ... no chain popping off.. no weird noises..

just take your time one and you'll get it...I know it is a pain in theeee ****zzzzzz