Pulled the trigger...hub adapter ordered.

GoldenMotor.com

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
After my bail last weekend, my rag joint/drive gear was f'd. So I figured it was time to ball up and do the right thing. Order a hub adapter and gear! Hopefully this will eliminate the scariness, vibration, and plain ol' crappiness that is the rag joint. Ordered it from Piston. Comes with a 40 tooth. I now just need to figure out a front brake. Screw the Curb Dog setup! Won't risk another one of those snapping and wedging up again!

From everything I've read, this is the single best upgrade one can add to your bike. We shall see!

r00t4rd3d

Aug 2, 2010
Internet
They eliminate a giant head ache thats for sure. I was always adjusting my rag joint set up trying to get it perfect, which is nearly impossible and ever since I put my adapter on it has gone from something that was always in the back of my brain to never thinking about it at all anymore. I dont think it will help with the vibes though. FYI- The universal front engine mount from Sick Bike Parts and a PooPoo pipe that I could strap down good cut my vibes in half.

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
I'm setting up a bike with an existing rear disc brake. I plan to buy an adapter from King's Sales and Service. I'm not sure what type of adapter I am going to get- I might just end up running just a front disc brake.....90% of the braking is done by the front tire anyways, so I don't think it will be a big deal to lose the rear brake.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Most of the braking might be done by the front brake, but the rear is important for stable braking, especially in turns and slippery ground. I think you should get the Top Hat.

I'm setting up a bike with an existing rear disc brake. I plan to buy an adapter from King's Sales and Service. I'm not sure what type of adapter I am going to get- I might just end up running just a front disc brake.....90% of the braking is done by the front tire anyways, so I don't think it will be a big deal to lose the rear brake.

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
The adapter fit perfectly on the HiStop coaster hub! Just need to true up the wheel, cut/add #41 chain to drive side again and secure the new cantilever brake/adapter up front. Then it's back to the rest of break-in! I feel a ton more secure about the bike now. The hub adapter is straight as an arrow and the front brake will stop on a dime with very little flex. Man, that adapter is such a great mod! 30 min tops and it was one and in perfect alignment! Save the cash up and buy one!

Here's a quick vid to show the trueness of the adapter. The rubbing sound is from the rim on the tensioner. Ya. Rim needs trued after the lay down. Surprise! Easy enough fix. Not the best vid, but hopefully it helps. Two Elijah Craig 12yr bourbons and the iPhone tends to get a little shaky!

‪Hub adapter install‬‏ - YouTube

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Yup, the thing is, when you use your forearm for brakes you realize just how fast you were going before it was applied. Got lots of them raspberries doing the same thing on asphalt as well as the dirt......I live for pain lol! Or picking the scabs, one or the other? Brakes feel no pain.......

dnut