125cc lifan mounting question

GoldenMotor.com
Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
I read on an old thread a few days ago that if you mount the lifan engine using only the 4 threaded holes in the bottom of the engine, the guy was worried about it cracking the block. Is this something I should worry about? If so I can add a mount for the top mounting holes as well.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Those 4 tapped holes on the bottom were not designed as engine mounts.

That engine mounts with the through bolts that run on the crankshaft axis.

Use the cross bolts at the rear, and if the top bolt on the crankcase is too much trouble to reach with bracket (empty bolt hole in pic below) then use a bracket on a head bolt or two to arrest the engine torque.

You can right click on that picture & open it full size for more detail.

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Those 4 tapped holes on the bottom were not designed as engine mounts.

That engine mounts with the through bolts that run on the crankshaft axis.

Use the cross bolts at the rear, and if the top bolt on the crankcase is too much trouble to reach with bracket (empty bolt hole in pic below) then use a bracket on a head bolt or two to arrest the engine torque.

You can right click on that picture & open it full size for more detail.

So can I add another mount and use it as the main mounting point in addition to using the 4 holes at the bottom, or should I avoid using those holes at all?

Jan 24, 2012
letterkenny, ireland
you can safely just use the 4 bottom ones if it is al you can get a mount made up for as they are kept in qauds using only those 4 holes. on a scrambler/pitbike they are used for footpegs so they shold hold plenty of weight unless you fluke out and get a bad casting but they should warranty replace on that.

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
I'm curious about your build that includes a lifan.
I'm planning on adding a Lifan 125 to a full suspension mountain bike frame, and adding xr50 plastics, a seat, and gas tank. I will probably need some help on this, and will start my own thread, but again I'm curious what you're up to.

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
I'm curious about your build that includes a lifan.
I'm planning on adding a Lifan 125 to a full suspension mountain bike frame, and adding xr50 plastics, a seat, and gas tank. I will probably need some help on this, and will start my own thread, but again I'm curious what you're up to.
I don't know of any mountain bike frame that will fit the 125cc lifan. The engine is like 18" long. Here's my build thread if you want to take a look at what I've got so far: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=61893. Also, going from a stock chinagirl to a monster like the lifan seems like a big jump in terms of both engine power and the expertise required to put one together. If you want to build a motorized mountain bike, the 79cc or 212cc predator engines might be a better choice, and I have experience with them as well. Heck, I've got a brand new 212cc sitting in my garage that I'd sell you for less than I bought it for just to get it out of there. If you're wondering what you can do with a 79cc predator, here's my current bike. It's an old trek 820 frame, does about 40 on level ground, and still has the power to make it up all but the steepest hills without pedal assist.

Last edited: