If I can buy a used Phantom for ~$750, should I build or buy?

GoldenMotor.com

azneinstein

Nov 9, 2016
San Diego
So a little background, I manage a small bicycle shop, I use to do electronics/speakers, etc. and even handyman/repair... but I'm terrible with motors.

So I've been wanting/researching for years now and when I finally thought I had decided on electric, I saw the "Motoped." I had a goped years ago and just remember having to buy parts or do little fixes all the time to keep it trouble free. But now these new generation of 4 strokes!

So my question is whether or not companies like Phantom Bikes will produce a bike that's "more reliable" than what I can make or produce. This is not to hate or question the quality of Phantom bikes but more of based on my reading, I don't know what to believe or go with anymore. I know their frames are going to be better but are they just using everybody's kit?

Currently I have about $500-1000 for this project. I do have quality bikes but they'll need the engine to be rear rack mounted as I ride small bikes unless I buy a new frame/bike to mount.

So from my understanding... These are the points that are confusing me.

- Not all kits are created equal with some of you hating on bikeberry, calling gas bike crooks, etc.... I mean, so who the **** do I buy from. The only reputable ones it seems like is G'olden Eagle or Staton- which they're pretty much out of everything. And of course all those ebay kits are just copies and junk.... (I have zero interactions with any of these companies, I'm just trying to find the best place for a 4 stroke kit but it seems like everybody has something against every company)

- Do belts slip? I've heard so many good things about them but then some people prefers chains now.... If it's just a louder chain but more, reliability I'd rather go chain.

- Are honda engines worth it and are they more reliable? I've heard mixed things, and if a bike had a Honda engine, would it be considered worth more?

- What is easier on spokes, the chain sprocket one or that giant belt band one?

So a kits about $300, though a few places in LA is selling them for sub $250. A few established companies is selling complete bikes for around $700-
$1000 with a gas tank frame.

However, there has been a few Phantom pop up around $800, and another from a custom shop called Imperial Cycles and these are the ones I'm wondering if I should buy instead. I've even seen used 4 stroker builds for around $400 which would probably save me some time and headache as well.

I apologize for the long post but it's finally time I'm getting something so it's been long awaited.... Hopefully this will replace my car and my 12 mile to work commute.

Aug 17, 2011
Springfield IL.
So a little background, I manage a small bicycle shop, I use to do electronics/speakers, etc. and even handyman/repair... but I'm terrible with motors.

So I've been wanting/researching for years now and when I finally thought I had decided on electric, I saw the "Motoped." I had a goped years ago and just remember having to buy parts or do little fixes all the time to keep it trouble free. But now these new generation of 4 strokes!

So my question is whether or not companies like Phantom Bikes will produce a bike that's "more reliable" than what I can make or produce. This is not to hate or question the quality of Phantom bikes but more of based on my reading, I don't know what to believe or go with anymore. I know their frames are going to be better but are they just using everybody's kit?

Currently I have about $500-1000 for this project. I do have quality bikes but they'll need the engine to be rear rack mounted as I ride small bikes unless I buy a new frame/bike to mount.

So from my understanding... These are the points that are confusing me.

- Not all kits are created equal with some of you hating on bikeberry, calling gas bike crooks, etc.... I mean, so who the **** do I buy from. The only reputable ones it seems like is G'olden Eagle or Staton- which they're pretty much out of everything. And of course all those ebay kits are just copies and junk.... (I have zero interactions with any of these companies, I'm just trying to find the best place for a 4 stroke kit but it seems like everybody has something against every company)

- Do belts slip? I've heard so many good things about them but then some people prefers chains now.... If it's just a louder chain but more, reliability I'd rather go chain.

- Are honda engines worth it and are they more reliable? I've heard mixed things, and if a bike had a Honda engine, would it be considered worth more?

- What is easier on spokes, the chain sprocket one or that giant belt band one?

So a kits about $300, though a few places in LA is selling them for sub $250. A few established companies is selling complete bikes for around $700-
$1000 with a gas tank frame.

However, there has been a few Phantom pop up around $800, and another from a custom shop called Imperial Cycles and these are the ones I'm wondering if I should buy instead. I've even seen used 4 stroker builds for around $400 which would probably save me some time and headache as well.

I apologize for the long post but it's finally time I'm getting something so it's been long awaited.... Hopefully this will replace my car and my 12 mile to work commute.
1. Motoped seems top notch.
2. Belts do indeed slip if not adjusted.
3. Any pulley or sprocket attached directly to the spokes is not a great idea. Its best to attach to the hub.
4. You can spend as little as $200 for a new 2 stroke kit and new Cranbrook.

Lots of options!

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
If you can afford it get a motoped. The amount of time you will lose in figuring out what works and what doesn't with motorized bicycle kits and parts isn't worth it. A motoped is the best, full suspension means you can go on long rides and even ride it daily without spine pain and butt numbness!!

Kits are fine, but they're boring. Build a custom!

Last edited:

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I would go with either one of those companies you mentioned, good service and nice guys. Met the owner from Phantom Bikes about three weeks ago at the Long Beach swap, he was selling an older model for 200.00 as in the picture, I thought it was a smoking deal. All you really need is his 4 stroke kit and a sprocket adapter which he sells. You should go by his place since he is located near you.

Attachments

azneinstein

Nov 9, 2016
San Diego
I would get the Motoped in a heartbeat if I had the cash~ the Cruzer model was what got me back into this whole thing how it seamlessly transitions and with the push start electric... *Droool.... but even used the lowest I've seen is around $2500.

As far as the phantom bike frame, I actually had stopped by a few months back when I was riding my bike around and they let me check out their shop. Seems like a very good bunch of people, but even at the $200 frame... with with sub $400 kit, I'm only $150 from buying somebody else's complete.