engine moves to left

GoldenMotor.com

pedrorican43

May 8, 2014
williston
i need help!!! Everytime i release the clutch, my engine shifts to the left, which causes the chain to shift as well, which in turn moved (and i think bent) my rim. I noticed that the rear engine mounts were loose, so i tightened them, but the engine still shifted when i released the clutch. The chain still stays mounted on the rear sprocket. How do i keep the engine from shifting to the left even after tightening the hardware? please help. I need to know how to do this myself, since i cannot afford to pay someone to do it. Thank you:-||

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
if it moves, then it isn't tight

did you put rubber under your mount? that will screw it up every time

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You said you tightened the rear mount, what about the front one? How do you have the engine mounted? Got pictures?

The front mount must be as secure as the rear one. If it is the engine can't move.

Tom

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Without some pics its difficult to answer.

A longer 6 mm bolt through the furthest back hole in the clutch cover that
contacts the seat post will stop the motor from shifting to the left but there
is also something wrong with your mounts if the motor moves that easily.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
In the pic, your front motor mount appears to show open space in each side of the down tube. That open space on the down tube needs to be filled with something dense.
-You could possibly cut some pieces of wood to fill that space. You could make it from wood scraps from a construction site.
-Canadians will sometimes cut pieces of a hockey puck to fill the open space inside the motor mount. Use what you have on hand to fill the front motor mount. I don't think simply tightening the nuts will fix it.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I can't tell from the pics what the rear mount looks like, but it should be tight enough to hold the engine all by itself for a while - try putting some PVC between rear block & frame.

CARider

May 20, 2013
San Rafael, CA-Mesa, AZ
Your chain is way loose from what I can tell, I don't even see the tensioner on there. Make sure that chain is tight.

Try this: If you feel like you can't tighten the engine anymore than you already have, put some good quality m6x1.0 studs in the rear, and get a pair of good quality 10mm nuts, then tighten it down good. Don't rip the studs out of the engine, the threads are cast aluminum. Is the chain jumping? Is in line? This will rip the engine from it's place even on a solid mount if the chain gets caught.

My two cents.
-Zane Smith