Bike storage

GoldenMotor.com

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
I'm kicking around the idea of building a 4 stroke motorized bicycle
My issue is I have nowhere to put it. My garage is full of junk like my car and my bicycle and my kids bicycles and a lawn mower and other things that are necessary to my life.
Is it possible to store it year round outside? I live in St. Louis where we get every kind of weather (sometimes in the same day) it's below zero in the winter and over 100 in the summer.

I'd put a tarp over it if it will help.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I got 2 bikes outside now chained to a fence with a tarp over them. Same thing, no room in garage. Both are for sale.

Come spring time I'll fire 'em up and let you know.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Cover it well and the temps won't hurt it. If you don't plan to ride for a month or so, drain ALL the fuel (including the float bowl) and squirt some oil in the spark plug hole before storage.
You can also use a gas stabilizer like Sta-Bil for long term protection from gas going bad.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
If you tarp the bike thru the winter, it would probably be a good idea to remove the tires and tubes for a few hours in the spring and let the condensed moisture out.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I don't know how it woud work with a bike engine. Same principle so it shouldn't be much different. We used to use automatic transmission fluid to 'pickle' 2 and 4 stroke model airplane engines for long term storage. It kept the engine from gumming up due to coagulation of oil and protected the aluminum parts. Pour a little down the spark plug hole and down the carburetor, rotate the crankshaft a few times then forget about it. Always worked for me.

Tom

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I don't know how it woud work with a bike engine. Same principle so it shouldn't be much different. We used to use automatic transmission fluid to 'pickle' 2 and 4 stroke model airplane engines for long term storage. It kept the engine from gumming up due to coagulation of oil and protected the aluminum parts. Pour a little down the spark plug hole and down the carburetor, rotate the crankshaft a few times then forget about it. Always worked for me.

Tom

I use a product called 'fogging oil' from NAPA. It's an aerosol oil that you spray in the sparkplug hole.......used it for years and it works great!

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
If you use plastic tarps keep them up off the bike, sun beat down and they sweat and let air get under to help. Not so much winter but summer. Put down some palets or something for it to sit on and make a tarp lean to would be better.........Curt

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I use a product called 'fogging oil' from NAPA. It's an aerosol oil that you spray in the sparkplug hole.......used it for years and it works great!
I've been told the best oil to use is Marvel Mystery Oil by one of my most trusted mototeachers. He also said it was the inspiration for fogging oil.
But then again, he also said Ford was a good car brand, so I take everything he's said since then with a grain of salt.....
Seriously fogging oil works great since it's easier to get all through the engine by simply spraying while turning it over.
Using regular oil is messier.