is anyone also finding a lack of interest?

GoldenMotor.com

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
Seems an increasing lack of interest in these bikes among the general population in this area. Bikes for sale sit on CL for a long time, the whole CL section is a bit sparse, and few folks seem to be buy parts or getting repairs done.

Is this just a local thing, or are others here seeing it where they are too?

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
I am told two or three times a week by someone I know that they've been seeing more GasBikes. I don't know if this is because they are more aware after seeing me ride or not. I have only seen a couple people myself.

Started a thread called; Seeing more MABs...
Not alot there

Last edited:

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
It seems to that don't have as many new members joining like we did last year or the year before . I think the threads on the forums really moving slower because there's less people on the fourm.:-||

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
I see people on motorized bikes all the time. Maybe its just my area but in the city of SF ive seen like 5 random people in the last week alone.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
SOME People are pretty negative on 2 strokes in general. There can be instant hate for China bikes.

4 strokes are just plain rare for obvious reasons. I saw one guy that I didn't know twice around here. Never saw another random 4T.

Electric bikes really light people up now. Quiet, stealthy, no gasoline. People are starting to get up to and over major negative (battery cost), and with ranges extending are not so focused on that negative.

I would not say lack of interest, just shifting interest.

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I see a pretty good number of bikes motorized bikes here in Jacksonville- the number is probably up a bit more than a few years ago- and you can ride them here without infringement.

But I don't think there's much of a resale market- I know one man here who was with a partner and tried to sell them commercially a few years back. I think he's right when he says that most people these days simply haven't the knowledge or tools to be working on them. Consumers now especially want things they don't have to interact with much.

All this could change quite a bit in a short time if the Global Warming thing gets worse quickly, or the economy destabilizes otherwise in some way. The place is painfully stuck in it's ways in so many ways as far as I'm concerned. I hate these expensive vehicles that come with the whole ball of obligatory social and political zen attached to them.
This is an age of much cruelty and violence.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I haven't seen another motorized bike here in Oak Ridge Tennessee for over a year now. Before that I saw quite a few. All of them were the cheap 2 stroke kits. I'd seen a few of them having a hard time getting up some of the hills here. My local bike store owner has told me my motorized bike is the only good one he's seen in our town. The cheap kits just didn't last and now people don't want to replace them.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Honestly I'm glad I don't see any.. but one guy around my town. It keeps me under the radar. I ride responsibly and mostly legal besides displacement, its the guys that don't that screw it up for everyone.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
Last two summers, I had so much repair work that I couldn't keep up with it. This summer, I get maybe 1 or 2 jobs a week. Was going to build a second running/repair bench this year, but haven't bothered yet : (

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Around here there are a lot of used scooters and mopeds to choose from, long with a majority of the public who like pedal bicycles a lot, so I'm the only guy. The other guy nearby doesn't want to ride because he's only got a china girl, whatever.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Honestly I'm glad I don't see any.. but one guy around my town. It keeps me under the radar. I ride responsibly and mostly legal besides displacement, its the guys that don't that screw it up for everyone.
All to sad what you're saying is true. Right now I've setup a lot of peddle only riders bikes so they can get up these 30% grade hills here in Tennessee. So that's who've I've been riding with. Even the peddle only riders look at me like why are you stoping at that stop sign or red light, not passing non moving vehicles on the right and not riding on the sidewalks.

All to often bad cycling habits get transferred into the motorbicycling world.

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Here in the desert interest wanes for riding out in the open at the peak of summer but I think the overall 'bad taste' most people have concerning motorized bicycles is not the riders but absolute plethora of garbage builds that though they don't say 'need work' they do being passed on again and again until it ends up in someones bone yard as a lost cause.

Rookie 'cheap as you can go' builders that dump their garbage on the market when it don't work is the cause in my opinion because when most of the bad feedback people tell each other about them spreads.

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Im new to the world of motorized bicycles and besides me and my buddy, I think there might be one other guy in town with a gas powered bike. I see some electrics now and again.

I live in a small town that typically is behind the rest of the nation by a couple years and Im glad we finally caught up.

If I was a vendor or had a repair business and that business was falling off its time to forget about people seeking you out and time for you to seek and educate new customers. Use facebook to make a group and be the spokesperson in your area to revitalize your industry. Have racing events, make them fun and family oriented. BBQ's in the park or at your shop where folks can gather that share the same interest, spark more interest in them, they will spark interest in others.

Focus on why motorized bicycle is fun, little or no skill is required to have a blast. Focus on all the nice things like evening or morning rides, getting folks hooked on different styles of bikes etc.

Sure Im new to this hobby but Im not new to marketing. If a idea is good it will hold its own but you do have to weather and adjust to slow times.

Dan.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I see very few motorized bikes or scooters on my side of Houston. I see plenty of pit bikes, quads and motorcycles.

PaPa_FoZzY

Nov 23, 2012
Neshoba co. Mississippi
I know of one guy here that rides a motor assisted bicycle and I saw one guy a couple of weeks ago making a 25 mile run on his scooter that went may 30mph on a 55mph road. the only way I'd do that is on the limited speed backroads. But I've not seen anything like what I've built (turn signals headlights and brake lights on a 12volt setup) and goes maxed 40mph.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'm with flying under the radar, so being the only guy around is OK with me. That said it would be nice to get together for a group ride someplace else. I'm happy the local cops who know me leave old Silverbear alone and wave as I ride by... never had official questions about engine size, legality, ect. I don't speed, obey the rules of the road, wear a helmet, use hand signals, have lights and pay me damned taxes. Besides, the dog in her canoe sidecar and the old guy with a putt putt bike add local color which is good for tourism. They should be paying me as I see it. Free gas anyway. Ha!
SB

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
I'm the only around here with a motorized bicycle and a lot of fellas who bought scooters over the past couple years are not riding them any longer. I enjoy riding as much now as the first day and I think it just confirms the notion in my neighbors minds that I am just a little bit "different". Keep ridin' guys!!
Dan