Noobie, newbie, etc

GoldenMotor.com

Fogcity123

Jul 21, 2013
SF East Bay
Hey,

Just picked up a motorized bike on a whim. Never knew there was such a community!
It's a '74 Schwinn Stingray, 26" wheels, springer, 2 stroke 80cc. I think it looks cool now (20 something inch apes, nice patia, pretty raw) but I want to go for the board tracker look. Being that I don't know anything, please point me to where I should look for necessary upgrades, custom pieces (gas tank, etc) and anything else. Thanks!

Attachments

Fogcity123

Jul 21, 2013
SF East Bay
It is. It's pretty cool as is, but I got it for a project. It's a good start but if I can find a good gas tank and seat post, handlebars and some go-fast suggestions, ill be able to do what I want to it.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
It is. It's pretty cool as is, but I got it for a project. It's a good start but if I can find a good gas tank and seat post, handlebars and some go-fast suggestions, ill be able to do what I want to it.
Just search on this forum for all the thing you're intersted in doing and you'll find loads of info and opinions on each subject.
Several ways to go about doing the things you described.

Map

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
My advice? Leave that bike just as it is and build another one for the BTR look you're after. That ride is too cool to mess up.
Welcome to our community and have fun, but above all, ride safe.

Tom

Fogcity123

Jul 21, 2013
SF East Bay
Good tips - thanks!

I was thinking of the same thing - leave well enough alone. But, I always do that and end up paralyzed to make any changes and don't want to repeat that pattern. I think it's a cool ride also so my compromise is to save all the parts and make sure that any mods can be reversed.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Are those 20" wheels? I can't tell but the exhaust looks pretty close to the ground, which would definitely make it a little small for a btr. That said, it could make a pretty cool drag bike. There was a forum member here who built a similar drag bike and it was wicked cool. If you still want to build a btr, I have a couple suggestions. I'm by no means a btr expert, just eyeing up your bike and putting my $0.02 in. A layback seatpost would put the seat over the back wheel, which is pretty common on btr's. The forks seem to have a bit more rake than I'm used to seeing on btr's, but some here do use springer type forks on btr's. Drop handlebars are also very common on btr's for a tucked in, more aerodynamic riding position. But I think a larger cruiser frame would be better suited to a btr build. Consider turning this into a drag bike (banana seat and straight handlebars, and maybe a nice fatty pipe along with a smaller rear sprocket for a bit more speed).

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas
Hey,

Just picked up a motorized bike on a whim. Never knew there was such a community!
It's a '74 Schwinn Stingray, 26" wheels, springer, 2 stroke 80cc. I think it looks cool now (20 something inch apes, nice patia, pretty raw) but I want to go for the board tracker look. Being that I don't know anything, please point me to where I should look for necessary upgrades, custom pieces (gas tank, etc) and anything else. Thanks!
Hey, buddy, you need to look after safety precautions. Yes, I know we may look silly, but I would suggest you get a full face helmet along with other safety precautions before you make it go faster. I will send you a cool looking tank at no charge. I just want you to be careful.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Kenx, perhaps you could share a pic of the tank you are offering? Just saying, if the OP is not interested, others may be. Not saying you should give it away to just anyone, just post a pic and someone who is interested just might make an offer if the OP is not interested. If he is, he's still got first dibs since you offered it to him first.

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas
Kenx, perhaps you could share a pic of the tank you are offering? Just saying, if the OP is not interested, others may be. Not saying you should give it away to just anyone, just post a pic and someone who is interested just might make an offer if the OP is not interested. If he is, he's still got first dibs since you offered it to him first.
I understand. I offered it to him free. I am obligated to that. I just want him to save a few bucks so he can spend it for safety equipment. That is one thing that should be emphasized here is they are really dangerous little machines. They are fun but dangerous.

Fogcity123

Jul 21, 2013
SF East Bay
Kenx - I really appreciate your offer and your advice. I'll be interested in seeing that tank, if you we're sincere. (And I am careful - long time Harley rider. Unfortunately the hobbies I like involve some risk and unfortunately, for whatever reason, the risk adds to the fun). Yes, gloves and helmet always.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
My personal opinion is that these bikes are more dangerous to uneducated (safety wise), inexperienced builders/riders. There is always a possibility of a wreck, but once you know how to build and ride safely, the risks are drastically reduced. I had two wrecks a few weeks ago. While I still feel it was partially the cager's fault, if I had been more careful they wouldn't have happened. I learned from those mistakes, and I don't expect any more accidents in the near future. I always wear a helmet and I've got good brakes, but I recently installed street tires and wasn't careful enough in wet riding conditions. I also believe that a shoddy rear wheel may have been partially to blame, which I didn't catch in time and now that I have I'm replacing it. But just like guns, these bikes are only dangerous in the hands of the wrong person. I'm not afraid of guns, I'm afraid of the people that use them irresponsibly.

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas
Kenx - I really appreciate your offer and your advice. I'll be interested in seeing that tank, if you we're sincere. (And I am careful - long time Harley rider. Unfortunately the hobbies I like involve some risk and unfortunately, for whatever reason, the risk adds to the fun). Yes, gloves and helmet always.
I am very sincere. A man is only worth is word.

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas
Yes, I am a man of my word! Try to remember that as you go through life.