Quality gas tanks?

GoldenMotor.com

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
Mine have never leaked through the studs, and I use the ones that come with the kits. If yours leak through the studs, then you are tightening them too much to the point the weld is breaking. Get some old inner tube and put it on the frame under the gas tank. This keeps is from moving and helps reduce tank vibrations. Since the inner tube helps keep the tank from sliding around, you don't need to tighten the studs as much. Also, make sure you tighten them evenly.

If you do have a tank that has some small leaks, I would just get some JB weld and smear it around the stud base. Make sure the surface is clean before you do this. After the JB weld dries you can paint it black (or whatever color your tank is) by using some touch up paint.

If you want to get out of using the kit tanks alltogether, I would suggest a barrel style tank that mounts behind the seat.

Here is the tank (4th down): http://phantom-bikes.com/shop/parts/custom-parts/

Here is the tank on a bike: http://phantom-bikes.com/images/bikes_bixby_detail_380.jpg

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Mine have never leaked through the studs, and I use the ones that come with the kits. If yours leak through the studs, then you are tightening them too much to the point the weld is breaking. Get some old inner tube and put it on the frame under the gas tank. This keeps is from moving and helps reduce tank vibrations. Since the inner tube helps keep the tank from sliding around, you don't need to tighten the studs as much. Also, make sure you tighten them evenly.

If you do have a tank that has some small leaks, I would just get some JB weld and smear it around the stud base. Make sure the surface is clean before you do this. After the JB weld dries you can paint it black (or whatever color your tank is) by using some touch up paint.

If you want to get out of using the kit tanks alltogether, I would suggest a barrel style tank that mounts behind the seat.

Here is the tank (4th down): http://phantom-bikes.com/shop/parts/custom-parts/

Here is the tank on a bike: http://phantom-bikes.com/images/bikes_bixby_detail_380.jpg

thanks for the tip! im currently in the process of rebuilding the bike with a new frame so im just generating ideas of which route i would like to go. I thought about the tank behind the seat on my current bike but then it takes away the style i guess im trying to go for. sweet tank though! couldnt find that tank before

Mar 31, 2013
RI
...you could also look at the tanks at Coyote Gear and while their tanks are similar to the one Mr. Minecraft linked to above, they also sell tank PARTS like the filler necks so if you have any welding skills you might could make your own tank.

...here's a link to the page where you start by selecting the size first, ...take a look around, you may not need much of what they have now but down the road, who knows.

Coyote Gear

...oh, and here are a couple of pics of my bike and the tank i bought from Coyote Cear.

...as you can see, my tank is also a keg style tank.

peace, bozo

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
I used the JBWeld fix on my leaky studs over a year ago and it is still holding solid. Like the man said make sure it is completely free of oil/gas/dirt. Also get some 40 or 60 grit sandpaper and scar up the area around the stud about the size of a quarter or nickel. Build up a cone of the JB about 3/4 of an inch high. When I re-mounted the tank I used a strip of industrial strength velcro which does most of the holding and the nuts are just tightened enough to be for safety back up. The velcro is also still holding up perfectly.

happy riding

Mar 31, 2013
RI
the gas tank you have is very unique but looks cool! did you have trouble fitting that fork onto that frame?
...actually, i bought the bike with that fork, i guess it's standard on some models of Micargi cruisers, ...so no, lol, it was no trouble at all.

...i'm still a total noob at this stuff man so i'm learning as i go and i'm still very near the bottom of the learning curve myself.

...so even that link to Coyote Gear isn't from me really, if i remember right it was either 2door, Scotto or bairdco who shared the link with someone else, i just took note of it for future reference and i was glad to share it with you, ...so it's those guys who deserve the credit, i'm just the messenger, as it were.

btw, here's a picture of the original POS tank before i got rid of it and put the new one in place. ...note that i used the same rack, i just added a wooden deck to mount the new tank too.

peace, bozo

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I like those keg style tanks, $120 is a little steep, anything cheaper out there?
4" dia. SCHD 40 PVC pipe has been used by some to make a gas tank, have not done it myself but all reports have been good and I do know that gas has no effect on PVC pipe.
For just a few bucks you can make your own that way then I would coat it good with the spray on truck bed liner and then paint it with whatever color engines paint I liked unless I wanted to just leave it black.

An option for cheap. $20 +OR- a couple bucks more than likely.

Map
.wee.