Replacing my motor

GoldenMotor.com

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Hey guys, I am thinking of replacing my crappy chinese 2 stroke with somethign more powerful. Currently, my bike eats so much gas thats its just overall better for me to drive my car. And it goes slow. I want to get my motor from thatsdax.com

hes got this 3HP 2 stroke with a quiet muffler for 149.99 "TITAN T50S Super 2 stroke 3hp high performance engine. "

And also for more money, but what seems to be really great build quality " DAX GP 50R Air cooled 9 hp power plant" for 500.

I want something that I can easily cruise at 30 mph and have more power to go faster just in case. Something that isnt super loud, more reliable then my current 66cc.

My question is, if I buy the 3HP 2 stroke, will it be hard to mount ? Will I need new parts, or will it go right where my old motor was?

I have no problem spending more money for the 9HP motor, and that seems like a lot of fun als, but again, how hard is it to mount? Does anybody have any experience doing this sort of thing?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Questions specific to a certain vendor would be better addressed by him. Why not call Duane (thatsdax) and ask him? He has a very good reputation for customer support both before and after a sale. I'm sure he could shed light on your concerns.
Tom

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I really like the look of the DAX KTMC GP50R !! 49CC, 9HP!!
As for mounting, I would email DAX about that or give a call and explain you want to change from a typical 2-stroke 66cc over to one of his motors. Looks like your gonna need a couple motor mounts bolted or welded to the bike frame that you can put a bolt through to mount the engine, I would guess DAX has something to use for that already? It's obviously gonna be more complicated than a standard kit build, but you've already been through that, right? Maybe its time for the next step? I would call or email DAX and have details ready about what you want, and what you got, specially info about your bike (frame dimensions, crank width etc), and I am sure they will help you make a proper informed decision....
I wish I had the cash around to make a similar move, though I would probably need a complete new bike cause my current frame is so small a standard china girl with a shorty intake and angle fire plug barely fits....
Good luck to you no matter what you decide, and I look forward to reading you post about your progress.....

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Thank you for the input guys, any clues on how I can email him? I see he has a phone number and a skype name on his site, I can't seem to find an email.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I don't see his email listed either, so why not just call and talk to him, probably the easiest way to get the info you need. That said, the website has a bit of a strange design, and an email address SHOULD be listed there, he would probably benefit from a better designed easier to read website....

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
...That said, the website has a bit of a strange design, and an email address SHOULD be listed there, he would probably benefit from a better designed easier to read website....

I'm glad I'm not the only person that feels that way. I can't stand when I have to go to his site looking for something. It gives me a headache.

douglasseattle

Oct 5, 2010
United States
I have one of his 2 stroke Titan gt 50 and it is a true dog and has been troublesome. He did not seem that interested in giving a refund either. The HT runs circles around it.

Good luck

DTFuqua

Jul 16, 2012
Florida
If your gonna spend a lot of money to go fast, why not just get a motorcycle and be done with it? A lot safer and more fun going fast on a stable bike than a light weight bicycle.

douglasseattle

Oct 5, 2010
United States
Why not a motorcycle? Certainly, they are likely safer at speed, but for a commuter it is hard to beat a motorbicycle in the city. If you get stuck in a traffic jam on even a 50cc scooter can you use the shoulder or sidewalk? Even better, can you pedal around it?

A motorbicycle represents freedom in a city that a motorcycle does not.

DTFuqua

Jul 16, 2012
Florida
I am sure you know your area's traffic and its hazards better than me. that said, I used to ride a motorcycle in and around Houston and that was pretty hairy sometimes but in Houston, you need to use the interstate to get around so that may have nothing comparable to where you live. The only reason I don't get another motorcycle is I will be traveling sometime in the future and I will likely be overloaded with what I want/need to carry with me and the bicycle is much cheaper as well as lighter. The fuel mileage is a very good bonus too.