how to get the magnet off the crank???

GoldenMotor.com

sparrow

May 1, 2012
Northern Territory, Australia
hi guys im new to this forum, and new to these little engines im currently on my second and third build simultaniously and im in the middle of upgrading the oil seals and crank case bearings and am at a loss as to how to remove the magnet from the crank so i can seperate the two halves of the crank case to acces the bearings and seals?? im really at a loss here so any help would be appreciated :-||

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Hi new guy. :) A gear puller is what you need to do it the easy way. 2 hooked flat bars attached to a crossbar with a threaded bolt. The hooks go under the magnet and the threaded bolt applies tension to the crank to pull the magnet off. A harder way is to use two screwdrivers or prybars on either side of the magnet. Thread the nut on only until it's flush with the end of the crank then give it a whack with a hammer but not like your driving nails, semi gently. It's best to have someone help you with that so one of you holds the screwdrivers under the magnet, prying up as you hold the block and whack the nut, it should pop loose.

But really the gearpuller works better and you will need a puller for other things, too. If there's a used tool place near you I'm betting you find one there or at least a cheaper new set. Don't get one too big or the arms will never fit under the magnet.

http://www.smarter.com/se--qq-gear+puller+tool.html

One like the puller on the right of the second row is best. The others are too thick to fit in the space you have to work in.

Last edited:

sparrow

May 1, 2012
Northern Territory, Australia
yeah i thought as much haha, i have automotive pullers but nothing that small to fit under it. its ok, ill hunt around and find one tomorrow because ill need it for when i replace the bearings and seals in my RSE HP3 engine when it arrives in the mail this week. i guess the chopper goes on the back burner for another few days.

thanks for your advice dave. i just wasnt sure weather their was a trick to it or not.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Probably one of the most important things I've learned over the years is: if its going to be more than a one time thing, invest in obtaining the proper tool.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
There are also battery terminal pullers for the older top post auto batteries. A large auto parts store would have them with the battery accessories, at least they do here at O'Riley's Auto Parts in the US :) They just look like a smaller version of the puller I posted above.