New Guy Here!

GoldenMotor.com

Latherman87

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
I have a few questions to ask you fellas....I just acquired an old 90's Cobra mountain bike from my dad last night after our talk about me wanting to build a motorized mountain bike. However I am about to buy an engine kit but before I do I need to know some stuff first and I dont quite know how to word it to find it in google....first question.....I have no idea how many speeds this mountain bike is....
Do I have to have it in a certain gear when I install the engine?

Can I shift my mountain bike (w/o a jackshaft kit) while I have the engine on goin down the road?

Should I have the rear sprockets removed and get a bike rim that is a single speed if I do not plan on buying a jackshaft kit?

I am looking to do the easiest and cheapest build possible for myself...can someone tell me maybe an easy way (if there is one) on how to keep my rear gears (even if I dont plan on using them) and still have an engine...it confuses me on how this should be done...and how do I configure my gear ratio?

Im new to all this and I am quite uneducated on all this as im sure you can tell so please bare with me.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
If you use the standard kit you can shift gears all you want but why your using the motor to propel your bike. Read up on that kit closely on this forum so you'll know what your getting into. To be reliable and safe your going to need upgrades in hardware.

Latherman87

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
If you use the standard kit you can shift gears all you want but why your using the motor to propel your bike. Read up on that kit closely on this forum so you'll know what your getting into. To be reliable and safe your going to need upgrades in hardware.
Is there a kit on ebay or such that you would recommend ? I weigh 156lbs....looking for a decent motor that can at least get me up to 30mph....and really in all reality as long as I dont have to hack anything up on my existing bike stuff such as removing the rear gear hub or whatever it is ill be happy....what kit should I go for....Im looking to spend no more than 200.

Latherman87

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
And what all should I replace..its an older bike but it has a bit of rust on the gears and chain....are those the main things i should replace?

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Alot of folks who love pain love those kits others don't. Just depends on what category your in. Once you get them right they can be dependable but with alot of work, they are not plug n play.

Latherman87

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Alot of folks who love pain love those kits others don't. Just depends on what category your in. Once you get them right they can be dependable but with alot of work, they are not plug n play.
Hmmm well perhaps I should go for a friction setup then? Im lookin for easy and efficient here and I know the friction set up wears on tires bad but I dunno...I just want something easy..im not too smart at mechanics

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
With any of these kits there are going to be problems that you will need to figure out and be able to fix. The cheaper the kit the more it may have problems that you will need to fix.
That goes for all makers and types 2stroke 4 stroke inframe, rack mount, chain, belt and friction drive kits These are not like a motorcycle where you just add gas and oil and don't have to do any work on them.