Four Wheel Bicycles.... Anyone ever?

GoldenMotor.com

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
While I was off in la la google land I crossed four wheel bicycles. Production ones and I began to wonder... then I crossed this build your own four wheel bike or pedal car, plans and kits So riddle me this... Has anyone ever put a china girl a four wheel bicycle?

Separate thought: Law here does say an "electric powered bicycle .... 20mph..." etc. With an electric powered 4WheelBike one could sure go GRAND THEFT AUTO on a pedestrian / bicycle path.... (Evil grin)

LabRat

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Most states will see four wheels as a motor vehicle, not a bicycle and will require all of the things required on any car. Lights, horn, brake and turn signal lights, etc. Not to mention registration, insurance and possibly emmision and/or safety inspections.

To answer your question, yes, several people have motorized the four wheeled vehicles that were originally designed for pedal power.
Check your state laws before investing in a project that might be unusable.
Tom

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Exactly. Thats why bicycles are called BIcycles as frozen said. Tricycles are tricycles cuz they have 3 wheels. 4 wheeled thing would be a quad, um pedalcycle? lol

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just a thought Lab. A 4 stroke might be better suited. With that much room, easier to mount, the extra UMPH, could be self contained, (gas tank and muffler come attached) and there are so many off the shelf gokart parts to choose from including CVTs, linkage, pedals etc.

Really am just thunking out loud

Last edited:

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
I have worked on something similar a customer of mine restores old anything from cars motorcycles bicycles you name it , I cant remember the make but it was a 4 wheeler built in late 1800 to early 1900 an it was cool to work on I used pics of another 4 wheeler from same company as reference , built like a carriage with a motor an sheet metal nailed to it with bicycle wheels 2 passenger one front one rear , really cool peice of history .

max350

Apr 10, 2010
Sweden, Örnsköldsvik
Too cool Max. She is just screaming to be motorized!

How are the laws about MBs in Sweden?

Motorized bikes are not legal in Sweden, with the exception of electric bikes that you can get help by an electric motor when pedaling. 1952 came a new kind of "cycle" in Sweden motorized bicycle, which you could drive without a license. If you find such an old motorized bike, it's legal to drive. But the kind of bike that I have built is completely illegal in sweden

Attachments

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I used to make these cars for my kids and grandkids for the past 40 years or so. I did put a motor on one and they rode it around in the back yard. I used 20'' wheels. This is the only one I have now. It has a chain differential.