cruze control???

GoldenMotor.com

thepolarpandabear

Jun 11, 2011
Michigan
Ok guys my right wrist hurts a lot from riding and other things (Hey you get your head out of the gutter). So is there any ideas for a cruze control. I've sat down and tried to design something on autocad but I'm stumped on this one.

Also in the animations noone is wearing a helmet, just saying.xct2

frozenveinz

Sep 25, 2011
Washington
Or the cheap shifter choke lever on the CNS. If you've upgraded the carb, use that thing. However, cruise control of this type is very dangerous. On motocycles/cars the thing disengages on brakes, throttle, or some other input. TGhese will stay until you turn off, gotta be real carreful. And wear a helmet.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Or the cheap shifter choke lever on the CNS. If you've upgraded the carb, use that thing. However, cruise control of this type is very dangerous. On motocycles/cars the thing disengages on brakes, throttle, or some other input. TGhese will stay until you turn off, gotta be real carreful. And wear a helmet.
I concure. Locking or otherwise defeating the spring return feature of the throttle is a dangerous thing to do. Yes, they have cruise control on some high end motorcycles but as Frozenveinz said, factory cruise control systems are very sophisticated and cancel out with break inputs and have an easily reached 'Off' button.

In an emergency/panic stop situation you want that throttle to drop out 'NOW' not after you've fumbled around trying to move a lever on your handlebars.

Don't do it.
Tom

thepolarpandabear

Jun 11, 2011
Michigan
Try one of these instead of physically locking your throttle control in an open position.
They are very comfortable.
Original Motorcycle Cruise Control - Crampbuster
I could never figure how those would work with a twist throttle, I can understand how it would work with a lever system.

What I'm probably going to do is notch out a u shape into the throttle and make a sliding catch to hold the throttle at cruzing speed. Once i get something drawln up ill post a .jpg of it on here.dnut

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I have a aftermarket metal throttle. From leaning the bike on a wall etc thousands of times the throttle sticks in every position.

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
I use a bicycle lever type gear shift as a throttle. By adding a stop to the lever in an approiate place, the lever makes a fantastic thumb throttle. It naturally sits where my thumb lays on the bar.
On the 79cc bike the center screw is lighty tightened to retain the throttle position, the engine doesn't have enough power to restrain the bike (Vbrakes) even if I forgot to back off the throttle.
On the 212cc bike, the center screw is NOT locked.
Either bike's throttle is totally better than any motorcycle/ atv or electric throttle control that I have ever used.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I could never figure how those would work with a twist throttle, I can understand how it would work with a lever system.
They have a video on their site that shows it in action.

But anyways here's how it works.
It is held onto the throttle grip by friction. You must stretch it open to fit it over the grip. It works by allowing the palm of your hand to press against it rather than having your fingers wrapped around the grip all the time.
You can relax your fingers and cruise just by simply resting your hand over the grip and paddle.
The paddle is not intended to be adjustable on the fly (although doing so is extremely easy to do), you fine tune it's position while at a stand still (for safety reasons) then ride at the most common cruising speed that you ride at, testing if you set the paddle position correctly.
It is really simple and surprisingly comfortable.

Last edited:

thepolarpandabear

Jun 11, 2011
Michigan
They have a video on their site that shows it in action.

But anyways here's how it works.
It is held onto the throttle grip by friction. You must stretch it open to fit it over the grip. It works by allowing the palm of your hand to press against it rather than having your fingers wrapped around the grip all the time.
You can relax your fingers and cruise just by simply resting your hand over the grip and paddle.
The paddle is not intended to be adjustable on the fly (although doing so is extremely easy to do), you fine tune it's position while at a stand still (for safety reasons) then ride at the most common cruising speed that you ride at, testing if you set the paddle position correctly.
It is really simple and surprisingly comfortable.
Well I guess that defeats my idea that I drew up earlier, thanks GearNut.dnut

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
I saw an actual xcruize control on a older honda gold wing years ago was a very simple little thing attached to the grip , it had a fine tooth cog wheel attached to the inner edge of the grip an a spring loaded catch that would release if you rolled on the throttle . I hope this description helps , I have a perfect mental pic of it if ya want let me know an I will draw it to the best of my ability .
Gary

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
A buddy of mine and I used to pull the cable housing the throttle cable rides in, up and out of its resting spot in the top of the carb. We would move the housing to the side so that it rested on top of the place it was supposed to rest in. This gave us a good cruising speed and almost anything would make it go back into place and stop the cruise control action.