Old, rare barnfinds??

GoldenMotor.com

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Hello all, I found these last week. The badge on the girl's sez "Flyer" Is this before "Western Flyer" was produced? Has very thick fillets of brazing in the joints. and a nice rear stand. IMAG0142.jpg IMAG0143.jpg

The boys is a "Rex" . All original except a NOs headlight installed along with new tires. Rides great. Large brass fillets too. Forks appear to be slighty bent. Should be not hard to straighten them huh?
IMAG0140.jpg
Can anyone date these? are they rare? Value as a collectables? Thanks, Wayne

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Nice Wayne...

I spotted a barnfind, just yesterday. Nothing as good as what you've gotten, though.

lol
it was actually in a turkey coop!
lol

I left it sit right where it was.
maybe on down the line I can use it for the fenders.
rc

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
UUUMMMMmmm Thats one sexy rexy!!! laff Heh I crack myself up.... Very nice finds, and I really do like the looks of that Rex

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Both bikes are nice finds. If I were going to motorize one it would be the Colson. Being a girl's bike it is less valuable. If the frame were modified so that the upper down tube was removed and you welded in new crossbars above you'd have a lot of room for an engine and a nice in frame gas tank above it. You already have a rear drop stand, cool fenders and a wonderful head badge. The seat can pretty easily be brought back to life and is a classic. You have the 7 seat post, too. It would still be a 1930's Colson whatever you do to it. That would be my choice anyway. Few people cry foul at altering a girl's bike and fewer yet would take the time and money to restore one to original. I can see this build with your Predator engine and the variable speed transmission... belt drive with a sheave on the rear wheel. What you'd end up with is a very cool motorbike...
SB

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Thanks Silverbear,now you got me lookin real hard at the Colson. I like the ridged top fenders and it's got machine screw chain adjusters too.
Turn that 7 post around and I got a laid back seatpost.
I would like to use the old Schwinn style top bar that is strait, with an angle bent near the seatpost end.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks Silverbear,now you got me lookin real hard at the Colson. I like the ridged top fenders and it's got machine screw chain adjusters too.
Turn that 7 post around and I got a laid back seatpost.
I would like to use the old Schwinn style top bar that is strait, with an angle bent near the seatpost end.
Exactly! Turn the seat post around, horizontal dropouts with adjusters and the old Schwinn straight bar design up above. It would be a one of a kind, awesome bike. The Colson was well made. You don't have to do anything much to make it look old because it is old. I hope you do it because I'd like to see it.
SB

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I've been letting it rattle around in my mind, and what comes to me is to cut out the upper bar on the Colson, turn it over and around, and pick up the arc between the back dropouts and the original weld point with it. Discard the little connecting bar along the way most likely. I think you'll need to take a few inches off the end of the bar (I did for the photoshop, from the seat post end where it meets head post) but you might end up with something like this:

Colson Top Bar Mod.jpg

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That does give a nice flowing line all the way from the head tube to the dropouts. With a straight bar under it like on a Panther you'd have lots of room for an engine and an in frame gas tank. Cool bike.
SB