GY6 Pusher

GoldenMotor.com

frozenveinz

Sep 25, 2011
Washington
Just a thought here, but I keep seeing these 50 and even 150cc GY6 motors on fleabay in the 250-350 range with the rear wheel still attached. Complete tranny, motor, carb errythang but the frame. Anybody think of bolting it to the rear forks via some iron pipe or something?

Kahlas

Nov 27, 2011
Illinois
Never heard of them till now but does look nice. I'm definitely going to keep them in mind for my next build. Does anyone make a bike wheel/tire that can handle 55 MPH? Could make an class L motor bike out of the 150cc one.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
i think moped or motorcycle tires are the only ones. but i know nothing about lance armstrong racers that just haul A on those skinny's. but the racers use anything from hookworm's [me] to duro elcheepo's [me too] some of the racer's are pushing for the hi speed moped tire's for safety reason's with the higher h/p, faster & faster speed's something has got to give. don't forget 55mph is freeway speeds

Last edited:

vachon644

Nov 27, 2011
Quebec city, QC, Canada
Hi, as a scooter enthusiast, I know a bit about these engines. First of all, they are scooter engines and thus I highly doubt that the handling will be good if you customize a bike frame on it. Also, keep in mind that these GY6 engines are four-stroke so they don't have as much power (50cc vs 50cc) as let's say.. a minarelli horizontal engine found in Yamaha BWS (Zuma in USA). Also, the 150cc version is a little less powerful as an aftermarket 70cc. I personally own a BWS with a 70cc kit and a motorised bicycle and so I can tell you that you do not want that much power on a bicycle frame especially if you're not 100% sure about your brakes. In many countries laws for scooters of 50cc or under are not the same as the laws for bigger motorcycle. In the end, I think you do not really understand how big and powerful these engines can be and how that would make it hard on the frame (what about suspension) and dangerous.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Somewhere on these lists I did see a yellow recumbent with a GY6 50cc drivetrain behind the seat, with the rear wheel mounted behind the scooter drivetrain, and driven with a chain from the scooter axle.

Mukura

Nov 30, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
...Oh, by the way - I bought a GY6 the other day... the bonus is they are 12v stators, so you could hook up a car stereo - or perhaps a small air compressor via cigarett lighter inlet if you could wire one in.. downside - four stroke, bogs around 35km/p/h common problem... other upside - dead easy to turn into a trike with an old quad based on similar clone engine... then you can run one on the legal tags too as the frame stamp just screws off...

Back on topic - yeah I have wondered if you can bolt them into your rear dropouts like a diy longtail... I also have a dead suzuki TS50 and am trying to figure work arounds on that - nice wheels, fit into a 24" frame, but then maybe the swingarm off the TS could also bolt in, then run jackshaft... floating off topic again...

The bigger question is whynot just strip the GY6 naked, and then bolt on the top part of a cruiser frame you like, to make it look like a motorised bicycle....

Just quietly though I've read the quad/atv gy6's put out to chain transmission.... now thats handy for MBrs eh?

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
...Oh, by the way - I bought a GY6 the other day... the bonus is they are 12v stators, so you could hook up a car stereo - or perhaps a small air compressor via cigarett lighter inlet if you could wire one in.. downside - four stroke, bogs around 35km/p/h common problem... other upside - dead easy to turn into a trike with an old quad based on similar clone engine... then you can run one on the legal tags too as the frame stamp just screws off...

Back on topic - yeah I have wondered if you can bolt them into your rear dropouts like a diy longtail... I also have a dead suzuki TS50 and am trying to figure work arounds on that - nice wheels, fit into a 24" frame, but then maybe the swingarm off the TS could also bolt in, then run jackshaft... floating off topic again...

The bigger question is whynot just strip the GY6 naked, and then bolt on the top part of a cruiser frame you like, to make it look like a motorised bicycle....

Just quietly though I've read the quad/atv gy6's put out to chain transmission.... now thats handy for MBrs eh?
Did you buy a 49cc? I have 2 of them. They would bog down when accelerating too and top out at 25 mph . Turns out they had electronic rpm limiters on them. Causes them to cut out repeatedly when trying to accellerate with full throttle.
I took the limiters off, and now they run like different machines. They both accellerate smoothly top out at 38mph now.
The speed limiters are the little matchbox sized device in the battery compartment with 2 wires plugged to it. Simply unplug it.

Mukura

Nov 30, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
WayneZ,

Nice tip thanks - yes mine is 49cc, It will climb to about 60km/p/h, but it just seems to stage out and bog in the middle. A friend of my Father has the same issue, it could be something to do with the CVT at 7,000kms on odometer too I'm told a bit worn and saggy maybe... For the first two days I just wanted to rip the plastics off, but am thinking when the students come back to Uni in Feb I'll list it up on the auction site - I got a fairly good deal on it, and stand to make or break even and have six weeks free fun. I wont be thrashing it, but I did do 12km across town in 5 o'clock traffic in 17min the other day : )

Having said all that - the Chinagirl I built last summer with stock 44T on a 20" rim would BA-LAZE most scooters other than maybe a Yamaha Jog...

Last night I started eyeing up chainsaw powerheads... at $40 for a second hand one, that's super low cost fun... but I digress

Back to GY6's. My verdict is do it if you're feeling it and can get it at a good price compared to a kit motor - Live and learn, who knows it might just be what you like, but I wouldn't say it was any better strictly speaking.

Cheers

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Been looking at this engine as a pusher for a few yrs and just never got around to trying it. Seems perfect! Pushing with a scooter wheel, (no need to redo the reduction math) has a CVT and it's own elec. Seems like a winner.

Some great information around on em. GY6 - Google Search