Gas tank

GoldenMotor.com

elchucko13

Jul 26, 2011
Guess
So far I've tried to new black "standard" gas tanks and in a few days I, had each one start to leak. Common problem? If so where are the leaks coming form besides the fuel petcock?

UriDead

Nov 21, 2011
Madison, IN.
I'll take a stab. Over tightening any or all of the four studs that hold it to the frame can crack a weld. Other than that use something like Teflon tape on the petcock threads and don't forget the lil ol gasket washer thingy. All I do it place a section of cut garden hose under the tank in the frame cradle and snug the nuts so that I can't easily move the tank left or right with my hands. Can't see the hose, saves my paint, takes up some vibration and tank is secure.

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
Yes, I experienced cracks at the base of 3 of the studs because they were overtightened. However, there was a reason that I overtightened them. I thought it would be a good idea to put a big piece of rubber underneath the tank to keep it secure. Well since there was more space, I had to tighten it more and the rubber acted as a spring, putting extra elastic pressure on the studs. To top that off, having the rubber there probably transferred vibration to the studs. Not good!

After doing a bunch of crap to try and fix the leaks, I ended up getting a replacement from Pirate Cycles. Now, instead of rubber, I simply have a piece of double-sided Gorilla tape. No leaks since!

By the way, throw out your chinese petcock immediately. It's pure junk because not only is it prone to leaking, but it actually restricts the flow of the fuel! Open it up and you'll see what I mean.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
"By the way, throw out your chinese petcock immediately. It's pure junk because not only is it prone to leaking, but it actually restricts the flow of the fuel! Open it up and you'll see what I mean."

I wouldn't throw it away if it was doing what it is supposed to... shutting off the gas flow. A fiber washer (usually colored red) is supposed to fit between the petcock and tank... is it there? I never had trouble with the carb not getting enough gas. Even if it is restricted, so long as it is getting enough, a bigger line doesn't change anything as the carb can only use so much gas. My opinion anyway.
SB

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
I wouldn't throw it away if it was doing what it is supposed to... shutting off the gas flow. A fiber washer (usually colored red) is supposed to fit between the petcock and tank... is it there? I never had trouble with the carb not getting enough gas. Even if it is restricted, so long as it is getting enough, a bigger line doesn't change anything as the carb can only use so much gas. My opinion anyway.
SB
I had nothing but trouble with my stock petcock.

It wasn't leaking from the connection to the gas tank; it was leaking from the switch! This is because the valve on the petcock is just two small holes and the switch just moves a rubber washer with 4 holes over it(that's why there isn't a hard on/off position). Also, the switch didn't align with the "on/off" positions, so I had to figure out where it would turn off.

I switched out my petcock with a brass spout and an inline plastic petcock from OSH.

porch lizard

Nov 7, 2011
Scarville, Iowa
I've read alot of posts about gas tank problems, so I thought I'd mention my approach to it. Motorcycle gas tanks usually have rubber mounts on the left and right side extending out from the frame horizontally. Drilling a 1/4" hole through the bike frame top bar and using a 5" or longer bolt with hard rubber tubing over it simulates this type of mounting without the need to over tighten the tanks mounting bolts. Its also extremely stable (no side to side twisting). Drilling holes usually does not affect the strength of the material being drilled.