Questions about suspension forks for 700c

GoldenMotor.com

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas
I'm looking to put a suspension forks on my old Raleigh C30 bike with 700c tires. I found one on ebay but the forks are non threaded, I currently have a threaded setup on my stock forks. The question is can I use a non threaded forks on my bike? If yes, how can I make this work? I've never encounter a non threaded forks before.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
The conversion can be done and as 007 mentions you'll need a headset, stem and spacers. The old headset is removed and the new pressed in place, something many would probably feel most comfortable having done at a LBS. It's might also be necessary to cut the steerer to length.

On another note, I know Suntour still makes an entry level threaded, 1" 700c suspension fork for around $100.

Last edited:

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas
Thanks for the reply, it seems a pipe threader would be a better idea for me. As long as it will fit my bike then I can go buy one. Thanks again for your input.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I would avoid cutting my own threads. It is a very fine thread and the cutting die is hard to find. Get a 1" threadless headset and 1" threadless fork for easy installation.
If you use a threaded fork, they come in a variety of lengths. The threaded fork steerer must match length of your steering tube or it cannot be used.
If you can find an older threaded Marzocchi, the steering tube is replaceable and you can order different length steerer tubes on EBay. Avoid the old air forks unless you plan to rebuild them with spring or elastomer internals.
I bought a lot of stuff that didn't fit before learning this.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Suspension forks are MUCH easier to find for 1 1/8 steerer frame tubes than for 1 inch-
so is it a mountain bike? I'm assuming threadless is usually 1 1/8" ? - Don't know- after my time I don't like threadless- no adjustment

But if the frame tube is 1 1/8
heres a cheap headset on ebay- and there are others
1 1/8" Threaded Headset - Black - Steel | eBay

in fact I think the threaded replacement suspension forks they sell threaded are more intended for mass marketed bikes like at Wal-Mart

Here's a cheapie on ebay seaching "buy it now' there's others under bidding too.
Ground Assault Suspension Fork Suspension fork | eBay

OOOPS- that's 26" I guess- sorry!,
Actually a 700C wheel will fit in it generally but you cant usethe cantilever braze-ons
andhave to use a very short reach brake in the center hole of the arch-
I have one with a 700 wheel and Campy brake

You have to measure the head tube and have another 1 1/2 inches for the headset- You can cut a longer one down if the threads are long enough-

that's if you wanted a threaded set-up at least

and this is for a mountain bike with a 1 1/8 front tube and NOT a cruiser witha one inch head tube.
and are less money than competition equipment

Actually here it is- it really is a 27" wheel here- I have a 700 on a regular cruiser fork on the other build with the same kind of brake. And this one is a 1 inch fork to fit a cruiser.

Colt droppers xct2

Attachments

Last edited: