4 wheel surrey

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Pusher motors have been around for about 100 years and worked pretty well. One of the most famous being the Briggs and Stratton Red Bug shown in the link below. If I built one, I would try to give it some caster so when I turned it would also and push the direction of my steering. Simple enough to make with one wheel and two connecting pivot pins on the rear of the surrey to handle uneven roads. Controls could simply be a throttle lever and a safety ignition kill switch quickly clamped on for easy access by the driver. A centrifugal clutch or torque-a-verter would handle idle and acceleration. Might add a cable operated brake for more stopping power. Small motorcycle or moped rear wheels with a built-on sprocket and brake drum would be a good candidate for a pusher build. Wichever way you go, it's a real challenge and sure to be copied by some of us. I can't wait to see your project get under way. Thanks for bringing this to the forum for us to enjoy with you.

Google Image Result for http://www.stevesclassiccars.com/images/BS3web.jpg

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
OK ...well my customer dropped off the engine a couple hours ago, its a honda GX 110 3.5 HP ohv 4 stroke .... a little small in my opinion , but he understands that the top speed will be affected, and also that after we finish if he needs more HP we can just get a bigger engine, the tough part will be done... going with my original plan for a solid shaft with sprockets at each end driving the two independant freewheel rear hubs, and adding freewheels to the front sprockets so the pedals wont turn when the engine is in use.... have not done the math yet but will be shooting for around 15 mph top speed and lots of low end ..... will also be adding a brake pedal next to the gas pedal for safe and simple operation...the brake is curently a lever on the dash that actuates drum brakes on the rear hubs.... well we get after it tomorrow ... David