Why did you put a motor on your bike?

GoldenMotor.com

Why did you put a motor on your bike

• Economics (gas prices)

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • To see if you could do it (Project)

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • To be Green or semi-Green (Environmental / better MPG)

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Lost license and need transportation - doh!

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Other

Votes: 18 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

muddybike

Jul 31, 2010
Calgary
So i could ride to work and get into shape, but the huge hill on the way home kinda killed the possibility of riding to work.
Now with the motor i pedal down the bike paths , and motor up the big hills (on the street).
Having a 6pack come summer will be very nice!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Here is why I chose building a motorized bicycle over buying a 50cc scooter like a Ruckus or Zuma; in no particular order:
I like to tinker – The Ruckus and Zuma require little maintenance
I like to customize and make it unique – its tough to add a lot of uniqueness to a mass produced scooter. Scooter body work needs to be professionally painted.
I like to pedal. I’m still a mountain biker.
It’s cheaper (Even if you are building a hot electric bike) . Parts and accessories are cheaper.
The engine is easy to reach – no body panels to remove.
There is a wide variety of bike motors, gear boxes, CVTs and fuel tanks available.

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
For me:

1: It's NO SWEAT, biking to work I get all sweaty and hate having a shower there.
2: Need Tool time (Cheap Therapy)
3. No Parking fees
4. Using the bike paths instead of roads.
5. It's cheap and fun. (No licensing fees, registration, road user chargers or insurance.)

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
"'Most people don't even interact with someone that physically makes something with their hands. As a result, they don't really have a concept of something that's really well-made." from BicycleTimes interview with Bruce Gordon
That's why I build and ride Motorbikes.
buzzard

wdbtchr

Jan 31, 2008
Juneau, Ak
I've been bicycling most my life and was humbled by mean North winds in the upper Midwest. So I got motorvated. Some of them winds out in ND are so mean that even a healthy 66 china will choke trying to fight em!
hence the old saying: "Minnesota sucks because ND blows. Been there done that. Used to drive Cat in Minnesota. Seemed like no matter which direction you went, the treads blew dirt in your face. My face would literally bleed after 8 hrs. OK let the face comments begin. laff

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
After I retired from my real job, I got re-employed as an aide in my wife's office. Sharing the same work schedule would be convenient, right? Nope. Wife worked WAY past quitting time as a secretary. Tiring of waiting 90 minutes to go home, I tried walking 5 miles home. Took 105 minutes of pain. So I bought a new bike, which took 45 minutes of sweat to commute each way. I electrified it, which cut commuting time to 25 minutes, than gassified it.

Like many, I saw those old ads a a boy, wanted one and 50 years later, I have them.

In Hawaii, the loud, fast moped is the rage.

I'd rather be different.xct2