Are the HT kits suddenly... faster?

GoldenMotor.com

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
I've done some research on this forum and some people claim that their HT bikes randomly kick into "turbo" mode and give them a super-boost while riding. One guy claimed he hit 40mph.

I hit 40mph on my bike, that wasn't even fully broken in, on flat ground. It has 29" wheels, but I may honestly thinking that the engines they make recently are a little bit better than the first kits. Now that it's broken in it still does 40-45 on 25:1 gas mix, no upgrades.

I've also had zero problems with that engine. I just don't like the manual clutch, the sprocket adapter, my Walmart bike... that build I did with an HT was really just a $200 experiment to tell me "Hey, this is really fun and addicting. And legal if you build it right".

So now I'm selling that bike and building a custom 79cc predator bike. But I did notice on my sketchy rides of this bike that it was much faster than most I heard about on this forum.

I used three methods to test speed. A gps, a bicycle speedo, and a car following behind.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
3 years ago, I started getting motors a bit faster and with shorter run-in times - now, I'm also getting a bit more low end torque

on ebay, there may still be some older motors that might still have old tech back to even the unbalanced cranks - try to shop carefully there as someone with old kits still wants to get them sold

StevenMain

Jul 18, 2016
Texas
Wow I must be messing up somewhere then I had to work my ass off to get 42 MPH and now with a shift kit 44mph.

ported cylinder, YZ85 pipe, stuffed crank case, Reed valve, PZ20 Carb

I've never been over 34 stock and it had no balls at all.

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
Well mine is different. It's an "upgraded" kit, with a lot of torque on 29ers! It also hits 45. So... maybe I just got some kind of fantastic engine, but it was still a cheap kit from eBay.