First break down....

GoldenMotor.com

Rump Rocket

May 21, 2014
Michigan
The throttle control twist grip gave out this afternoon, bought another cheap one off E-Bay....any suggestions that would prevent it from stripping out again....

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
About all you can do is make sure all the screws are tight. A little dry lube in the throttle housing may help. Its always the little things.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
What do you mean by "gave out"? What actually failed? The plastic part the cable wraps around is called the thimble. That's what usually breaks. The reason is too much force being applied to the twisting action and the cable being pulled very tight against the plastic. You can adjust the cable length and tension to keep that from happening again. Most any motorized bicycle twist grip throttle you find will be of about the same quality so take it easy with your replacement.

Tom

Rump Rocket

May 21, 2014
Michigan
What do you mean by "gave out"? What actually failed? The plastic part the cable wraps around is called the thimble. That's what usually breaks. The reason is too much force being applied to the twisting action and the cable being pulled very tight against the plastic. You can adjust the cable length and tension to keep that from happening again. Most any motorized bicycle twist grip throttle you find will be of about the same quality so take it easy with your replacement.

Tom
It was the thimble that gave out, I'll be readjusting the tension when the new one comes in, the length seems fine.
By the way Tom I've been using Opti2 1.8oz per gallon it's working out very well for break-in on the new motor, the other day I pulled a plug inspection and the color was light to medium brown.