noobie w lots of questions..best kit to buy? where from?

GoldenMotor.com

abefroman

Sep 13, 2013
new orleans
Ok, I'm hooked. I restore old cars, pinball machines, anything mechanical. I've got a trek mamba 29er bad ass mountain bike and the guy I ride with has the same trek and an electra rat rod.

I came across a genesis onyx on craigslist and picked it up for $70. I was thinking of adding a motor but the bike has 1" handlebars, coaster brakes (which I hate..i'm adding front side pull) and a big ass frame.

I was told that the grubee skyhawk was the best engine to use.

Looking online I came across this site and all the vendor ads. seems like kings is the same as gasbike.net, so I called them and they are out of the kits. they said they are getting some in the next week but the piston and head are not assembled but the kit is $128 shipped !!! very good price, but not too happy about the engine assembly.
I also dont mind paying a bit more for a quality kit.

so, the onyx looks to be difficult to use. As I was surfing the net, I came across the micargi stretched bikes and fell in love. I wanted the puma gts (not the 3.0) and found it everywhere for $380 plus shipping, or $440 from amazon in red or blue. I was getting ready to order when I came across the Black (which is what I wanted anyway) on amazon for $238 SHIPPED !!! holy crap - i ordered one right away. wont be here till october tho.

So now I'm shopping for an engine kit. piston bikes is out of bizness and others are "sketchy". I really want the skyhawk kit.

here's some questions :

1 - what is the better carb - the NT or the CNS ?
2 - the micargi is a 68 spoke wheel..will I have problems with this ?
3 - gears and a jackshaft look very desireable. maybe a nexis hub ???
4 - the micargi has coaster brakes. can I put a disk brake setup on the front? where would I find the parts ???
5 - can I put an engine on the Onyx ???

I'm pretty good at fabricating brackets and stuff, so if I run into problems during installation I can probably fab something.

6 - can I upgrade performance with the skyhawk ? (jakes bikes looks promising)

thanks guys. right now I'm just trying to figure out who has the best kit and what I should order..

cheers

Aric

Aug 8, 2013
maine
Welcome to the forum an honestly all of the china girl kits are the same, same factory's with the same low quality control . It's like picking straws either you get lucky or you don't bikeberry is a great place I ran a 66cx flying horse low maintenance very reliable an i hit 42 mph with stock everything I was happy with it ... But in my opinion I'd go to thatsdax.com his f80 an f50 kits come with a hand drilled an balanced bottom end with American hardware for a really decent price half gal tank better chain an grips

Aric

Aug 8, 2013
maine
I would personally go with the speed carb it's the step above the nt an much better IMO but Cns is hands down better

Aric

Aug 8, 2013
maine
Oh an you can upgrade performance with either size of any of the 2 stroke china girls sky hawk silver hawk flying horse etc .... An the onyx if its the 29er you need a diff sprocket an clamp assembly to install the sprocket to your tire

Last edited:

abefroman

Sep 13, 2013
new orleans
Ok, maybe you can clarify a bit... are you saying that the Dax kit is better quality ? i dont mind paying a little bit more for better quality stuff.

thanks

oh, also - about the onyx 29er - what is a good source for the rear wheel sprocket I would need ?

cheers