Broken motor mount bolt

GoldenMotor.com

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
After I removed my engine to paint the frame, the motor started to slip down my seat tube, so I decided to upgrade my bolts.
Started with grade 10.8, and one broke off. That came out with some ViceGrips. Got a set of stainless, but was advised against using them by a member here. It's possible that I consumed hops on the day I bought the third replacement set- they too were grade 10.8, and one broke off. The fourth set are grade 8.8, and work great.
The pictures are of the madness that ensued after the second bolt broke off. I know there are different ways to go about it, but this is what I did.
I drilled a small pilot hole all the way through the bolt- nothing. I drilled a larger hole half way through- nothing. I used a reverse threaded bit- nothing. I drilled it out just a hair larger- messed up the threads. Tapped it out to 7mm, and used a slightly shorter bolt- I'm riding!
The handle that holds the tap is a tool I picked up somewhere, not knowing what it was. I figured I could use it for something, and when I bought the tap, it was obvious. I ain't the brightest bulb in the box...

Attachments

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
LOL! You stole my thunder, 2door.

Good job, Trey. I go boozeless each year from New Year's to the end of Lent...around mid-April. I used to drink O'Douls when I was out, but the idea of paying beer-prices for only beer-flavor just didn't suit my taste or wallet.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Good job Trey. Learning experience and most importantly ya made it work.

Ben Franklin; "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" (According to the internet, he didn't say that but a sign in my shop says he did, so he did) Helps in turning wrenches? Maybe not so much. Our beloved founding father who also told us "to **** proudly" (break wind)

LOL Kiosk, "near beer" is just wrong! On so many levels, just wrong.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Strange but I have a carved wooden plaque that I bought somewhere years ago. It says the same thing but instead of beer, mine says wine. Consequently I've always figured that if you can't trust Ben Franklin, who can you trust so....I drink wine.

Wow, Trey, we really highjacked your repair thread. Sorry. Your did good. Congratulations. Was a 7mm bolt hard to find? The Ace hardware where I buy a lot of fasteners only carries even number sizes. Odd thing is they have odd number taps and dies. Go figure.

Tom

Krealitygroup

Mar 16, 2013
Earth
After I removed my engine to paint the frame, the motor started to slip down my seat tube, so I decided to upgrade my bolts.
Started with grade 10.8, and one broke off. That came out with some ViceGrips. Got a set of stainless, but was advised against using them by a member here. It's possible that I consumed hops on the day I bought the third replacement set- they too were grade 10.8, and one broke off. The fourth set are grade 8.8, and work great.
The pictures are of the madness that ensued after the second bolt broke off. I know there are different ways to go about it, but this is what I did.
I drilled a small pilot hole all the way through the bolt- nothing. I drilled a larger hole half way through- nothing. I used a reverse threaded bit- nothing. I drilled it out just a hair larger- messed up the threads. Tapped it out to 7mm, and used a slightly shorter bolt- I'm riding!
The handle that holds the tap is a tool I picked up somewhere, not knowing what it was. I figured I could use it for something, and when I bought the tap, it was obvious. I ain't the brightest bulb in the box...
Hey there.. What tool is that in picture four?

Also. Could I retread my mount to be something other than metric?

Last edited:

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
I couldn't find this post :eek:

Thank you fellas. Franklin had the gift of words, did he not? And, you caught me! I was DD one night, and the waitress kept feeding me these. I've found it easy to switch occasionally, and I must admit I work longer hours. (But it does cost too much.) Still, please don't tell the Guinness people, I do have a reputation :)
The True Value next door has a fine selection of fasteners, but only two reverse threaded bits- I bought the third one.

The tool in picture four? I dunno.lol Seriously, I do know it is a tap (the drill bit part), and the handle may be called just that, handle. This was my first time doing this, but I've seen it done somewhere I'm pretty sure.
I believe that if you were careful, you could tap out your motor mount to something other than metric. It is delicate work for a first timer, and I highly recommend that you approach it methodically. Good luck!