Is a motorized bicycle just a bike when on the sidewalk?

GoldenMotor.com
You're in a jurisdiction (right-side travel as in the US) that allows m-bikes on the sidewalk.
Say you're on your m-bike with no vehicles ahead of you, and you're approaching a red traffic signal at the intersection, and your intent is to turn left at the intersection.
You stop in the crosswalk before the intersection road.
Now, can you immediately turn left and proceed on the crosswalk on to the sidewalk?
Would that be legal? Does it matter?

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
Re: Is a M-bike just a bike when on the sidewalk?

HI,

If in your area they allow you to ride a m-bike on the side walk just as a pedestrian would walk on a sidewalk, I would assume (by extension) that you should be able to cross in a crosswalk to the other side just as a pedestrian would walk to the other side. (may have to look for a crosswalk signal tho)....

On the other hand....Just to be safe.... maybe you could contact the local police and ask them for an official ruling ....After all, more often than not, they would be the ones to bust you if it were against the law.

In our area bikes are NOT allowed on the sidewalks (pedaling or engine power)--- You can walk a bike on the sidewalk though

Hope this helps you.

Andrew

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

It depends on your local laws. Look them up.

Here in Cali. you need to adhere to all applicable laws related to automobiles. Automobiles are not allowed travel on the sidewalk (last time I checked) so at least I can say that we are not allowed to do that.

Myself, I ride it like I am on a motorcycle, just no freeways for me.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2013
Mesa, Arizona

I'll say this
Usually as long as you properly covered yourself with a full face helmet or a half dome with eye protections cops have better things to do.
Just make sure you don't hit any pedestrians that's crossing

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com

Heck, one of the strangest (stupidest?) laws I have read regarding motorized bicycles in Cali. is we are required to dismount our motorized bicycle and walk it across every intersection in the pedestrian crosswalk.

Like that's ever going to happen!

We never get the chance to use a left turn lane...ever!
You are putting me on? :)

Where did you read that? Please show us the CVC.

I use left turn lanes all the time.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

MBR, you are yet another person who has proven to me that my knowledge of the law is antiquated. From what I could find tonight by searching for it, the law was changed in 2011.
I have edited my post above to reflect my error.

Sorry...

Last edited:

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA

Here in San Diego, the only way you can have a bicycle on a sidewalk is if you're walking next to it. At least that's the "law" here.

We do have a boardwalk along the ocean in Mission Beach where bicycling is legal. I've pedaled my motorized bicycle down it many times without a problem.

Again as said previously in this thread, it depends on local laws. Common sense (which doesn't seem to be so common anymore) should tell you that riding a bicycle down a commercial street where someone could walk out of a storefront and right into your bike wouldn't be a good idea anywhere.

Again as said previously in this thread, it depends on local laws.
Actually, it depends on local practices and, to a lesser degree, local written laws. And that was what I was asking about. If the laws are such as I described, is this act legal?
(Here, in KC, KS, bikes are legal on the sidewalk except downtown(this ruling requires another thread)
To respond with "It depends" doesn't address the question.
Common sense (which doesn't seem to be so common anymore) should tell you that riding a bicycle down a commercial street where someone could walk out of a storefront and right into your bike wouldn't be a good idea anywhere.
"Common sense" is different for different people. It would be nice if we could say "rely on your common sense" and everybody would than agree, but that's not what happens. Moreover, my common sense is sometimes at odds with the law.
Finally, I can easily ride at a slow enough speed to equal that of a companion walking. And while doing that speed, I'm about as likely as a walker to run into somebody exiting from a doorway.
Lots of dense commercial streets in the Netherlands have plenty of bikes (m-, e-, and human powered) and pedestrians co-existing.

Last edited:

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO

if you ride on the sidewalk you are just asking to damage your wheels or some other part of your pike to much on sidewalk off sidewalk .

about ten years ago i was rideing just a plan old bike on the sidewalk when a woman came flying out of a alley needless to say i flew through the air and the bike took the majority of the blow lucky for me . if you avoid the sidewalk then you can avoid getting whacked like me .

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.

I agree, it depends on your local laws, bylaws, and those who enforce them.

On the bridges here where we have signs that say "Cyclists use sidewalk/Yield to Pedestrians" but once you're off the bridge it's back to the bike lanes. In the parks we have to cut the motor if we're cruising through them, even E-bikes have to be pedaled through. Not sure about the shared sidewalk/bike paths in a few places, but being nice to the pedal-powered and pedestrians by powering down, or staying at low power is the best bet. If they're not unhappy, we don't get bothered as much. ;)

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california

again, check local laws.

again, here in california...

pedal bikes are not allowed on any sidewalk or crosswalk unless you're walking it, or unless there's a sign telling you it's ok. this is usually on high traffic roads and bridges, where it's dangerous to ride with traffic.

bicycles must always ride on the right side, with traffic, and follow the same rules of the road as cars. left turns in turning lanes are legal, as long as it's safe. if it's not safe, you must walk it across in the crosswalk.

it's also legal to run a left turn light if it doesn't change for you, after waiting a reasonable amount of time. usually one full light cycle. i've never found the actual vehicle code that states this, but have been told by many cops it's ok.

now, with a motorized bike, you can never ride on any sidewalk with the motor running, even if there's a sign telling bicycles to ride on the sidewalk. you have to pedal it or stay in the road with traffic. common sense (again) should tell you what to do. if you're doing 20 on a tight road with cars doing 50, and the sign says "bicycles must use sidewalk" you might wanna shut down and pedal...

you can also pedal with the motor OFF on bike trails and the beach boardwalks. fire up the engine and you might as well get a motorcycle and run from the cops.

i'm pretty sure every state in the union doesn't allow motorized vehicles to use sidewalks and crosswalks, unless you're in a wheelchair or a rascal...