Pre lubing a clutch cable

GoldenMotor.com

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I like a lot of members have broken a clutch cable, I installed the cable that came with my first kit as I found it and it lasted about two weeks. From that day forward I take the braided cable out of the housing and coat the cable with lithium grease leaving the last two to three inches of cable ungreased so the cable clamp will hold. The results were amazing, the clutch pull required was far less and the cable has been on the bike for a couple of years.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
All of your cables, clutch, brake and throttle will benefit from lubrication. I found that a heavy oil is easier to apply than grease and coats the entire inner surface of the housing as well as the cable itself. In fact I use chainsaw bar & chain lube, the same as I use on my chains. Once a year seems to be sufficient.

Tom

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i've done that on every bike i've owned since i was 11 or so.

an easy way to grease them (instead of oil) is to take a blob of grease between your finger and thumb, then run the cable thru them as you push it into the housing.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
This may not be terribly relevant for many, but I thought I'd mention if you tend to ride in colder climates (significantly below freezing) the heavier oil & grease types tend to thicken up and increase cable drag, even preventing a full return. The lighter spray lubes like PB & Wrench don't suffer this, but haven't much longevity & require frequent reapplication.

I'm not particularly recommending this stuff, but it's what I use due to the above as molybdenum is a "dry" lube, it does work quite well if a touch spendy: http://www.amazon.com/Bike-Dri-Slide-4oz-Needle-Nozzle/dp/B001F2Y25G

Last edited: